Banner Elk, N.C. – After battling a lengthy weather delay for the second consecutive game to open the season, the Lynn University women's soccer claimed a 2-0 shutout on the road at Lees-McRae on Saturday evening in Banner Elk, North Carolina. Gabriela Moreira's 29th-minute strike proved to be the difference maker, while Monica Rojas provided insurance with Lynn's second goal early in the second half. Gabriela Lopez stopped all seven shots she faced en route to the first shutout of her career.
INSIDE THE MATCHUP:
Final: Lynn 2, Lees-McRae 0
Records: Lynn 2-0-0, Lees-McRae 0-2-0
Location: Tate Field | Banner Elk, North Carolina
All-Time Series: Lynn leads, 5-0-0 (Last met in 1996)
Get Social: Twitter - @Lynn_Knights | Instagram - @Lynn_Knights | Facebook - /LynnFightingKnights
STATS OF THE GAME:
- Moreira notched the game's first goal midway through the opening frame, finishing off a ball from Morgan Meltzer for her first score of the season.
- Rojas potted her first goal of the year just under 15 minutes into the second half, taking a pass from Tara Harris and chipping it over the keeper into the far corner of the net to double Lynn's lead to 2-0.
- Lopez registered her first career start between the pipes and earned her second win of the young season after stopping all seven shots sent her way by the opposition.
- The Fighting Knights controlled play from start to finish, holding an edge in shots, 22-14; shots on goal, 12-7; and corner kicks, 5-3.
BEYOND THE BOXSCORE:
- Rojas and Meltzer lead the team in the early-going with three points each from one goal and one assist.
- Jessica Archer, Chloe DiDonato and Crystal Ayn Hagberg saw the first action of their collegiate careers at Lynn, while Brittney Benedict earned her first minutes of the season in the win.
- Lynn is 63-49 all-time when games are decided by exactly two goals.
- This is the Fighting Knights' first 2-0 start to a season since 2010.
Lynn returns to South Florida on Wednesday night for a non-conference battle against Florida Southern. Kick-off is scheduled for 6 p.m. at Bobby Campbell stadium in the Fighting Knights' home-opener.