BOCA RATON, Fla. – Lynn University's women's soccer team avenged its loss to Florida Southern the previous week by defeating the Moccasins 1-0 in its Sunshine State Conference season-opener Saturday night. Freshman Cassidy Barnette scored the difference-maker in her first career appearance.
INSIDE THE MATCHUP:
Score: Lynn 1, Florida Southern 0
Records: Lynn (3-2-0, 1-0-0 SSC); Florida Southern (2-4-1, 0-1-0 SSC)
Location: Barnett Athletic Complex | Lakeland, Fla.
Series History: Lynn trails 9-11-7 (lost 3-0 on Sept. 5)
Get Social: Twitter - @Lynn_Knights | Instagram - @Lynn_Knights | Facebook - /LynnFightingKnights
STATS OF THE GAME:
- The two teams were nearly even across the board with FSC outshooting Lynn 12-10 and holding a 7-3 edge in corner kicks.
- Fighting Knights goalkeeper Lina Lundgren logged her first career shutout by turning away five shots while Noelle Rolfsen made three saves.
- Barnette tallied the only goal in the match in the 41st minute.
BEYOND THE BOXSCORE:
- The Fighting Knights lost 3-0 to Florida Southern on Sept. 5, at Bobby Campbell Stadium in a non-conference matchup.
- All six goals scored by Lynn this season have come from different players.
- This is the second consecutive year Lynn has won its SSC opener. The team is 9-10-2 all-time in SSC openers.
The Fighting Knights are back in action on Wednesday, Sept. 19, when the team hosts Florida Tech in a non-conference meeting. Fans can watch the match live at LynnFightingKnights.com.