BOCA RATON, Fla. – Following a 2-0 deficit in the second half, Lynn University's women's soccer team clawed back to send the game to overtime, ultimately forcing a 2-2 tie with Saint Leo in Sunshine State Conference action Saturday night. Brittney Benedict and Gabriela Moreira found the back of the net in the second half for the Fighting Knights to tie the game at two.
INSIDE THE MATCHUP:
Score: Lynn 2, Saint Leo 2 (2OT)
Records: Lynn (3-7-1, 1-4-1 SSC), Saint Leo (2-7-1, 1-4-1 SSC)
Location: Bobby Campbell Stadium | Boca Raton, Fla.
Series History: Saint Leo leads 7-16-1
Get Social: Twitter - @Lynn_Knights | Instagram - @Lynn_Knights | Facebook - /LynnFightingKnights
STATS OF THE GAME:
- Saint Leo took a 2-0 lead in the first half off of goals from Carolina Solis-Deleon and Brianna Thompson.
- Benedict scored the first goal for Lynn in the 57th minute off of an assist from Emily Weisberg. Approaching a free kick from outside the top left corner of the box, Weisberg found Benedict short on a square ball at the top of the 18, who one-timed the ball over the keeper's head.
- Donish Henry-Cole slotted a pass through the Saint Leo back line as Moreira ran on and beat the keeper 1-v-1 to notch the game-tying strike in the 76th minute. Monica Rojas also had an assist on the play, beating two Lions on a header off of a goal kick.
- Moreira had six shots in the match with three on goal.
- Gabriela Lopez had nine saves for Lynn, a season-high.
- Two out of Lynn's five shots on goal found the back of the net.
- Henry-Cole, Weisberg, Tara Harris, Morgan Meltzer and Rojas also tallied shot attempts for the Fighting Knights.
BEYOND THE BOXSCORE:
- This was the first tie of the season for both teams. Lynn's last tie game was in the last game of the season last year against Florida Southern, 5-5, on Oct. 28, 2017.
- With six shots today, Moreira doubled her previous season total. This was her second goal of the season.
- Benedict's goal was her first of the season on her fourth shot of the year.
- Nine saves are the most for a Lynn keeper since the first game of 2018 at Queens on Aug. 30, when Lopez and Lina Lundgren combined for 11.
- This was the first time the two teams have tied in their series history, which dates back to 2000.
The Fighting Knights are back in action on Wednesday, Oct. 10, at 6 p.m. when the team travels to Barry. Fans can catch the action live at LynnFightingKnights.com.