BOCA RATON, Fla. – Senior Emily Weisberg scored the game's lone goal on Saturday night as Lynn University's women's soccer team took down the University of Tampa Spartans 1-0 in Sunshine State Conference action. It is the Fighting Knights first home win of the season.
INSIDE THE MATCHUP:
Score: Lynn 1, Tampa 0
Records: Lynn (4-8-1, 2-5-1 SSC), Tampa (5-4-4, 3-2-2 SSC)
Location: Bobby Campbell Stadium | Boca Raton, Fla.
All-time Series: Lynn trails 6-16-2
Get Social: Twitter - @Lynn_Knights | Instagram - @Lynn_Knights | Facebook - /LynnFightingKnights
STATS OF THE GAME:
- In the 26th minute, Donish Henry-Cole fought off two defenders on the outside corner of the box before playing a ball back and central. Gabriela Moreira let the ball through as Weisberg approached and struck a one-timer from 25 yards out that floated over the Tampa keeper's outstretched arm and just under the crossbar.
- Both of Weisberg's shot attempts hit the frame with Monica Rojas also logging a shot-on-goal. Henry-Cole finished with three shots.
- Kiara Burga played all 90 minutes in net for the Fighting Knights, making three saves and earning her first career victory.
- The Spartans held advantages over Lynn in shots (14-10) and corner kicks (5-0).
BEYOND THE BOXSCORE:
- Lynn secured its first win over Tampa since Oct. 6, 2011.
- Weisberg recorded the 10th goal of her Lynn career.
- The victory snaps a seven-game winless streak for the Blue and White while Lynn picks up its first home win of the year.
- Weisberg's 10 points currently leads the team on the season, behind three goals and four assists.
- Henry-Cole registered her third assist of the season.
The Blue and White hit the road to take on Florida Tech at 7 p.m. on Wednesday, Oct. 17.