Melbourne, Fla. – A two-goal deficit was nearly made up but Lynn University's women's soccer team ran out of time in a 3-2 loss to Florida Tech on Wednesday night. Monica Rojas and Emily Weisberg tallied goals for the Fighting Knights.
INSIDE THE MATCHUP:
Score: Florida Tech 3, Lynn 2
Records: Lynn (4-9-1, 2-6-1 SSC), Florida Tech (7-7-1, 4-4-0 SSC)
Location: Rick Stottler Field | Melbourne, Fla.
All-time Series: Lynn leads 28-5-0 all-time (Lost 2-1 in 2017)
Get Social: Twitter - @Lynn_Knights | Instagram - @Lynn_Knights | Facebook - /LynnFightingKnights
STATS OF THE GAME:
- Florida Tech took the 1-0 lead in the 29th minute of play but Rojas knotted the game at 1-1 in the 37th minute following a combination of passes from Donish Henry-Cole and Gabriela Moreira.
- A penalty kick minutes into the second-half allowed Florida Tech to regain the lead and the Panthers added an insurance goal in the 57th minute.
- Emily Weisberg found the back of the net in the 63rd minute following assists from Bailey Brasse and Brittney Benedict.
- Florida Tech held a slight 20-18 advantage in total shots but the Blue and White attempted 11 corner kicks (nine in the second-half) to the Panthers' two.
- Kiara Burga and Maria Recuero each stopped five shots.
BEYOND THE BOXSCORE:
- Lynn's 11 corner kicks are the most by the team since it recorded 14 against Nova Southeastern on Oct. 5, 2013.
- Weisberg's fourth goal and 12th point matched career-highs set her freshman season.
- Brasse logged her first career assist and point.
- Rojas has seven points, one shy of her career-high set as a freshman at Palm Beach Atlantic.
The Fighting Knights will honor their senior class when they host Florida National on Saturday, Oct. 20, at 2 p.m. at Bobby Campbell Stadium. Fans can watch the action live at LynnFightingKnights.com.