BOCA RATON, Fla. – Lynn University's women's soccer team tried to send its seniors out on top but played to a 3-3 tie with Florida National on Saturday afternoon. Seniors Gabriela Moreira and Emily Weisberg found the back of the net while senior Donish Henry-Cole added a pair of assists.
INSIDE THE MATCHUP:
Score: Lynn 3, Florida National 3
Records: Lynn (4-9-2), Florida National (1-9-1)
Location: Bobby Campbell Stadium | Boca Raton, Fla.
Series History: First Meeting
Get Social: Twitter - @Lynn_Knights | Instagram - @Lynn_Knights | Facebook - /LynnFightingKnights
STATS OF THE MATCH:
- Lynn found itself trailing 2-0 just seven minutes into the match after a pair of defensive gaffes gave Florida National two easy attempts inside the area.
- Moreira cut the deficit in half, 2-1, in the 22nd minute following a combination of passes freed her up on the left side and she volleyed a shot past Briana Gomez.
- FNU, though, scored less than 30 seconds later on another defensive lapse to build a 3-1 lead.
- Weisberg rifled a shot past Gomez in the 24th minute as Lynn went to the locker room trailing 3-2.
- The Blue and White played aggressively in the second half, netting a goal in the 52nd minute following a cross by Henry-Cole to Tara Harris.
- Lynn outshot FNU 30-12 and held a sizeable 7-1 advantage in corner kicks.
- Gomez turned away 12 shots while the Fighting Knights' Lina Lindgren made four saves.
BEYOND THE BOXSCORE:
- Prior to the match, Lynn honored its nine seniors: Donish Henry-Cole, Claudia Kraut, Morgan Meltzer, Gabriela Moreira, Mara Notkin, Nia Perkovich, Monica Rojas, Felicia Silveira and Emily Weisberg.
- Before the start of the game, Lynn hosted a ceremonial kick-off for Claudia Kraut. Injuries derailed Kraut's career after two years but she had remained with the team the last two seasons as a team manager.
- Weisberg has set career-highs for goals (5) and points (14) in a season.
- Henry-Cole has a career-high six assists this year.
- Harris, a freshman, scored her first career goal.
- Lundgren made her first appearance in net since Sept. 22.
- This is the 11th game decided by a goal or less for Lynn. The Fighting Knights are 3-6-2 in those matches.
Lynn closes out the season on Tuesday, Oct. 23, when it hosts Nova Southeastern at Bobby Campbell Stadium. Kick-off is set for 6 p.m. Fans can watch the action live at LynnFightingKnights.com.