Savannah, Ga. - Lynn University's swimming team held its course on Saturday, finishing in third place at the 13th Annual SCAD Invitational. The Fighting Knights finished 211.5 points behind second-place Emory University, while maintaining a 51 point edge on fourth-place SCAD.
INSIDE THE MEET:
Standings: 3rd out of 13 teams
Location: Chatham County Aquatic Center | Savannah, Ga.
Get Social: Twitter - @Lynn_Knights | Instagram - @Lynn_Knights | Facebook - /LynnFightingKnights
HOW IT HAPPENED:
- Catalina Berraud-Galea opened the day with a dominant victory in the 1,650-yard freestyle, posting a sub-17-minute NCAA B-Cut time of 16:59.74. The time was more than 33 seconds better than her previous season-best time and was just 3.13 seconds off her personal record.
- Laia Coma registered a third-place finish in the 200-yard backstroke at 2:05.56, less than one second off the top finisher. The season-best time came within half of a second of her personal record.
- Sarah Nichols and Fatimah Westbrook clocked in at 52.80 and 52.92 in the 100-yard freestyle, missing the NCAA B-Cut time by less than one second each in the process.
- Sarah Hughes came through with a second-place finish in the 200-yard breaststroke A-Finals, clocking in under the NCAA B-Cut mark with a time of 2:19.83.
- Samar Khacha finished sixth in the A-Finals of the 200-yard butterfly with a time of 2:10.62, while Megan Carlson finished eighth at 2:14.23. Khacha blew away her previous season best time, cutting nearly two full seconds off her personal record.
- In the 4x100-yard freestyle relay, the Blue and White's A squad checked in with a fourth-place finish behind the strength of Westbrook, Nichols, Hughes and Carlson. The foursome finished with a time of 3:33.12, less than two seconds behind the second-place finishers from Emory. The B-Team of Kasey Swartley, Coma, Tatiana St. Juste and Khacha finished ninth overall at 3:39.24.
BEYOND THE SCORESHEET:
- Wingate finished more than 400 points ahead of its closest competition to take the title, as it had 1060 points through three days of competition.
- Lynn was in third place following each of the three days of competition.
The Fighting Knights return to the pool on January 6, 2018, when they host the third-annual Lynn Sprint Invite at 1 p.m.