BOCA RATON, Fla. – The Lynn University swimming team won nine of 13 races at its Third Annual Sprint Invitational on Saturday afternoon, collecting a meet-high 770.5 points en route to a first-place finish at the event. California University of Pennsylvania finished second with 730 points, while Millersville University placed third with 529.5 points.
INSIDE THE MEET:
Score: Lynn 770.5, Millersville 730, Cal U 529.5
Location: McCusker Pool Complex | Boca Raton, Fla.
Get Social: Twitter - @Lynn_Knights | Instagram - @Lynn_Knights | Facebook - /LynnFightingKnights
HOW IT HAPPENED:
- Lynn opened the day with a victory in the 200-yard medley relay, as Laia Coma, Fatimah Westbrook, Sarah Hughes and Sarah Nichols raced their way to a time of 1:53.26.
- Megan Carlson picked up a victory in the second race of the day, the 200-yard freestyle, clocking in at 2:01.15 to narrowly edge out Kasey Swartley for the top spot. Swartley was right on her heels at 2:04.74, while Catalina Berraud-Galea finished third in the event at 2:02.38.
- Hughes and Coma finished second and third, respectively, in the 100-yard backstroke, finishing less than one second apart at 1:02.19 and 1:02.99.
- In the 100-yard breaststroke, Fatimah Westbrook claimed the top spot with a time of 1:09.74, beating the second-place finisher by nearly five full seconds.
- Nichols picked up a solo victory in the 50-yard butterfly to go along with her previous win in the relay, touching the wall in a time of 27.64 seconds. She followed that up in the very next race with a second-place finish in the 50-yard freestyle with a time of 26.48 seconds.
- Westbrook grabbed another victory in the 100-yard freestyle, checking in at 54.79 while Nichols finished in 55.77 in her third consecutive race.
- Coma and Carlson placed back-to-back in second and third in the 50-yard backstroke, touching the wall at 30.46 and 30.55, respectively.
- In the 50-yard breaststroke, Hughes picked up a win with a top time of 32.63 seconds while Westbrook finished second at 33.76.
- The longest race of the day, the 500-yard freestyle, saw Lynn claim the top two spots as Berraud-Galea dominated from start to finish with a time of 5:15.45 and Swartley placed second at 5:27.02.
- Carlson grabbed a second-place mark in the 100-yard butterfly with a time of 1:00.59, while Nichols was third at 1:01.99.
- Hughes picked up her third victory of the day overall in the 100-yard individual medley, swimming a time of 1:02.08.
- In the final event of the day, the 200-yard freestyle relay, the Fighting Knights again staked their claim as the top team at the event, capping off a win with a time of 1:44.83 from Carlson, Alyson Currao, Swartley and Westbrook.
BEYOND THE TIMESHEET:
- Lynn placed multiple swimmers in the top-three finishers of a race in nine of 11 individual events while claiming the top spot in both relays.
- The Blue and White honored seniors Carlson and Swartley prior to the match as the two swam in their final home meet.
Lynn returns to the pool on Jan. 27 when it travels to Florida Tech for matchups against the Panthers and Saint Leo.