Winter Park, Fla. – Lynn University's final tune-up in the pool before the Sunshine State Conference went swimmingly as the team knocked-off Rollins 120-83 and Florida Tech 138-58 on Saturday afternoon. The Fighting Knights won eight events and finished runner-up in four more to sweep their season series against both the Tars and Panthers. This marks the second time in program history Lynn has won two series in a single season.
INSIDE THE MEET:
Score: Lynn 120-83 Rollins; Lynn 138-58 Florida Tech
Location: Alfond Swimming Pool | Winter Park, Fla.
Last Meeting: Defeated Rollins 155-48 on Oct. 28; Defeated FIT 130-126 on Jan. 27
Get Social: Twitter - @Lynn_Knights | Instagram - @Lynn_Knights | Facebook - /LynnFightingKnights
HOW IT HAPPENED:
- The Fighting Knights took first place in the opening event, the 200 medley relay, with a time of 1:52.07. The 'B' squad came in fourth (1:58.16).
- It was Blue and White domination in the 1000 freestyle as Catalina Berraud-Galea tapped the wall in a season-best time of 10:31.58. Teammate Kasey Swartley also logged a season-best time of 10:59.57 to finish as the runner-up.
- Carlson continued the gold medal runs in the 200 free in 1:59.54 with Katie Tiell (2:10.38) and Ali Maginely (2:12.20) in sixth and seventh.
- Fatimah Westbrook grabbed the first of her two first place finishes, first in the 50 free, clocking in at 24.95 while Sarah Nichols (25.55) placed fourth and Laia Coma (26.31) fifth.
- Sarah Hughes placed first in the 400 individual medley, posting a 4:35.08, while Samar Khacha finished third (4:49.36).
- Lynn's string of first place finishes was snapped in the 100 butterfly but Nichols ended as the runner-up with a time of 1:00.40 with Carlson (1:01.24) and Khacha (1:02.95) also competing.
- Westbrook brought home the top time in the 100 free in 53.50 with Tatiana St. Juste (57.43) taking sixth and Samantha Persaud (1:08.37) putting in a personal-best time.
- Coma grabbed second in the 100 backstroke (1:03.11) and Alyson Currao (1:05.54) and Elizabeth Harris (1:10.98) also completed.
- Berraud-Galea and Swartley ended their days as they started them, finishing one-two in a distance event. Berraud-Galea claimed first (5:10.30) in the 500 free with Swartley posting a 5:21.37. Tiell was sixth (5:45.24).
- Hughes made her second first place finish a special one, logging a season-best time of 1:07.41 in the 100 breaststroke. Ali Maginley swam her top-time of the year at 1:18.17 while Persaud was timed at 1:23.70.
- The Fighting Knights placed third (3:50.74) and fifth (4:12.52) in the 200 free relay.
BEYOND THE HEAT SHEET:
- Lynn won its 6th meet against both Rollins and Florida Tech.
- This is the second time in program history the Fighting Knights topped two teams twice in a single season.
- This also marks the first time in school history the Fighting Knights have won two tri-meets in a season.
The Fighting Knights return to the pool when they compete in the 2018 Sunshine State Conference Championship Thu-Sun, Feb. 22-25, in Clearwater, Fla. Fans can keep up with the action live at LynnFightingKnights.com.