Clearwater, Fla. – The Lynn University swim team sits in fifth place after day one of the 2018 Sunshine State Conference Championships, as multiple racers set personal records on the first day of the four-day competition. Catalina Berraud-Galea set a new top time in the 1,000-yard freestyle, while Megan Carlson topped her personal record in the 200-yard individual medley.
INSIDE THE MEET:
Score: Lynn (Fifth place) - 42 (Nova Southeastern leads with 220.5)
Location: Long Center Pool | Clearwater, Fla.
Get Social: Twitter - @Lynn_Knights | Instagram - @Lynn_Knights | Facebook - /LynnFightingKnights
HOW IT HAPPENED:
- The Fighting Knights had three individual qualifiers for Thursday night's finals races.
- Berraud-Galea picked up a personal-record time of 10:12.14 in the 1,000-yard freestyle, topping her previous PR of 10:12.19 which she set last season at the NCAA Division II National Championship. She finished sixth in the top heat in the finals.
- Sarah Hughes qualified for the "A" finals in the 200-yard individual medley, posting a time of 2:04.99 to finish fifth. It was her fastest time of the season, and just 1/20th of a second off her personal record.
- Carlson raced in the "B" finals of the 200-yard IM after qualifying with a personal-best time of 2:10.77. The PR did not stand for long, as she topped her time in the finals, clocking in at 2:09.45 for a sixth-place finish in her heat, and 15th overall.
- The relay team of Laia Coma, Fatimah Westbrook, Hughes and Sarah Nichols placed sixth in the "A" finals of the 200-yard medley relay, finishing at 1:46.76.
- Alyson Currao, Samar Khacha, Kasey Swartley and Tatiana St. Juste finished seventh in the "B" portion of the 200-yard medley relay, clocking in at 1:53.53.
The Fighting Knights are back in the pool on Friday with morning preliminary races at 10 a.m. in the 400-yard IM, 100-yard butterfly and 200-yard freestyle. Finals will follow on Friday evening.