Clearwater, Fla. – The Lynn University swim team bounced back in a big way on Saturday, placing a total of seven racers across four finals events at the Sunshine State Conference Championships to move from seventh place to fifth place in the overall team standings. Catalina Berraud-Galea picked up Lynn's second medal of the weekend, placing third overall in the 500-yard freestyle with a school-record time of 5:46.92.
INSIDE THE MEET:
Score: Lynn (Fifth place) - 233 (Nova Southeastern leads with 742.50)
Location: Long Center Pool | Clearwater, Fla.
Get Social: Twitter - @Lynn_Knights | Instagram - @Lynn_Knights | Facebook - /LynnFightingKnights
HOW IT HAPPENED:
- Berraud-Galea was the only medalist of the day for the Fighting Knights, though both Sarah Hughes and Fatimah Westbrook narrowly missed out on the podium in the 100-yard breaststroke.
- Hughes posted a personal-best time of 1:03.35 to place fourth, while Westbrook swam a time of 1:03.55 to set a personal record for the second time in the same day.
- Samar Khacha finished fourth overall in the 200-yard butterfly, posting a 2:06.98 to smash her personal record set earlier in the day.
- Laia Coma checked in at 59.05 in the "B" finals of the 100-yard backstroke, setting a new season-best time in the process. She placed sixth in her heat and 14th overall.
- Kasey Swartley and Megan Carlson qualified for the "B" finals, with Swartley (5:10.00) setting season best time while Carlson clocked in at 5:14.75.
- Carlson also competed in the "B" final for the 200-yard butterfly, finishing at 2:08.73 for 13th place overall.
- The 800-yard freestyle relay team of Khacha, Katie Tiell, Aliah Maginley and Elizabeth Harris placed fifth in their heat and 13th overall, while Berraud-Galea, Sarah Nichols, Swartley and Carlson turned in a fourth-place finish overall in the 800-yard freestyle relay.
- In addition to those that qualified for the evening's finals races in the 500-yard freestyle, Tiell and Maginley competed in the morning preliminaries. Tiell swam a time of 5:29.97, narrowly missing her season-best time of 5:29.06. Maginley clocked in with a time of 5:38.85, shattering her personal record by nearly nine seconds.
- Harris, Alyson Currao and Tatiana St. Juste competed in the 100-yard backstroke, each of them posting season-best times in the event. Harris checked in at 1:04.25, while Currao finished at 1:02.04 and St. Juste at 1:01.50.
- Samantha Persaud posted a time of 1:16.75 in the 100-yard breaststroke, setting a new personal best in the preliminary race for the event.
Lynn returns to the pool on Sunday for the final day of the 2018 SSC Championships, competing in morning preliminaries for the 100-yard freestyle, 200-yard backstroke, 200-yard breaststroke and 1,650-yard freestyle. Finals will follow in the evening for those that qualify beginning at 5 p.m.