Saint Leo, Fla. - Lynn University's swimming team took first or second place in 11 individual events, including seven victories, to top both Saint Leo and the Florida Institute of Technology on Friday afternoon. Clara Monges paced the Fighting Knights with three individual victories.
INSIDE THE MEET:
Scores: Lynn 110, Saint Leo 106, FIT 46
Location: Marian Bowman Aquatics Center | Saint Leo, Fla.
Get Social: Twitter - @Lynn_Knights | Instagram - @Lynn_Knights | Facebook - /LynnFightingKnights
HOW IT HAPPENED:
- Lynn collected the top position in the 100 freestyle, 200 free, 500 free, 1000 free, 100 butterfly, 200 fly and 200 individual medley.
- The Blue & White claimed runner-up finishes in the 50 free, 1000 free, 200 backstroke, 100 breaststroke and 200 breast as well as the 200 medley relay.
- Clara Monges had a big day for the Fighting Knights, taking first place in the 100 (54.47) and 200 (1:57.76) free and the 100 fly (58.98).
- Catalina Berraud-Galea continued her dominance in the distance events with a first place finish in the 1000 (10:34.96) and 500 (5:09.39) free. She also placed fifth in the 200 free (2:01.16).
- Sarah Hughes (200 IM – 2:09.19) and Samar Khacha (200 fly – 2:09.84) also collected victories for Lynn.
- Sarah Nichols finished runner-up in the 50 free (25.69), third in the 100 fly (1:01.08) and fourth in the 100 free (55.77).
- Susan Faremouth was top-three in all three of her events: 1000 free (11:01.28 – 2nd), 500 free (5:24.02 – 3rd) and the 200 fly (2:16.82 – 3rd).
- Hughes picked up runner-up finishes in both the 100 (1:05.66) and 200 (2:22.33) breaststrokes and Anita Field was also the runner-up in the 200 back (2:17.78) and third in the 100 back (1:04.31)
- In addition, Tatiana St. Juste was clocked at 26.66 in the 50 free, Fields (1:04.31) and Alyson Currao (1:04.83) competed in the 100 back. Currao tapped the wall in 2:24.39 in the 200 back as well.
- Grace Armit logged times of 1:12.16 and 2:35.19 in the 100 and 200 breast while Khacha put forth a time of 2:13.91 in the 200 IM.
- Lynn had two teams compete in both the 400 Free and 200 Medley relays.
- The Blue and White A team of Currao, Berraud-Galea, Armit and Faremouth placed third in the 400 Free Relay with a time of 3:46.26 while the B team of Aliah Maginley, Katie Tiell, Lauren McGee and Sydney Keefe were clocked at 4:08.46.
- Lynn's 200 MR A team (Field, Hughes, Monges, Nichols) finished second at 1:52.18 while Currao, Armit, Khacha and St. Juste tapped the wall in 1:58.42.
BEYOND THE SCORESHEET:
- Lynn's victory over Florida Tech marks the seventh time the squad has beaten the Panthers, the most against any SSC school.
- This is the third victory over Saint Leo.
- Monges time in the 100 free was a season-best.
- Other season-best times came from Faremouth (1000 free), Hughes (100 & 200 breast), Khacha (200 fly & 200 IM), Nichols (50 free), St. Juste (50 free), Armit (100 & 200 breast).
Lynn is back in the pool on Saturday, Oct. 27, when it takes on Rollins and Nova Southeastern in Ft. Lauderdale, Fla., at noon. For more information check out LynnFightingKnights.com.