Melbourne, Fla. – Lynn University's swimming team split its dual meet on Saturday afternoon, topping Florida Tech by a comfortable margin, 165-97, but falling to Saint Leo 135-127. Four Fighting Knights claimed five event victories led by Karolina Smylek's wins in the 100 & 200 backstroke.
INSIDE THE MEET:
Scores: Lynn def. Florida Tech 165-97; Saint Leo def. Lynn 135-127
Location: Panthers Aquatic Center | Melbourne, Fla.
Get Social: Twitter - @Lynn_Knights | Instagram - @Lynn_Knights | Facebook - /LynnFightingKnights
HOW IT HAPPENED:
- The day started with a second, fifth and eighth place finishes in the 200 medley relay. The A team (Smylek, Sarah Hughes, Clara Monges, Laia Coma) tapped the wall in 1:41.43. Anita Field, Grace Armit, Samar Khacha and Alyson Currao found a time of 1:55.00 and Sydney Keefe, Shelby McKeever, Savanna Suggs and Tatiana St. Juste sped in at 2:05.27.
- Catalina Berraud-Galea claimed first in the 1000 free (10:33.08) followed by Susan Faremouth (10:54.31) and Aliah Maginley (11:44.74).
- Monges took second in the 200 free (1:58.07) with Berraud-Galea (2:00.35), racing in her second consecutive event, placing fifth and Anita Field (2:05.96) taking seventh.
- Smylek dominated backstroke competition, earning her first victory in the 100 back (58.43). Coma (1:01.97) and Keefe (1:08.04) placed fifth and ninth.
- Hughes (1:08.06), Armit (1:12.50) and McKeever (1:16.46) placed third, sixth and ninth in the 100 breaststroke.
- Lynn only had two swimmers in the 200 butterfly and they shone bright with Khacha (2:09.81) and Faremouth (2:12.45) earning the top-two positions on the pedestal.
- Sarah Nichols (25.54) led the Lynn contingent in the 50 free with a third place finish with Currao (25.87) and St. Juste (26.16) also competing.
- Nichols had little time to recover but still managed a second place finish in the 100 free (54.91). Monges (55.06) and St. Juste (56.38) placed third and seventh.
- Smylek turned in another first place finish in the 200 back (2:07.36) while Coma (2:14.09) nd Field (2:19.82) took fifth and seventh.
- Although not winning, Lynn held three of the top-four spots in the 200 breast. Hughes (2:25.93), Khacha (2:33.88) and Armit (2:34.73) placed second thru fourth.
- Berraud-Galea (5:13.32) and Faremouth (5:22.06) were fourth and sixth in the 500 free.
- Monges collected her first win of the day in the 100 fly with a time of 58.55). Smylek (59.30) was fourth with Nichols (1:00.32) fifth.
- Lynn was top-heavy in the 200 individual medley as Hughes (2:12.66) carried the team to victory followed by Khacha (2:14.10) in second and Suggs (2:31.48) in seventh.
- The Fighting Knights had difficulty in the 400 free relay as two of the three teams DQ'd. The squad of St. Juste, Armit, Field and Currao placed fourth with a time of 3:49.31
BEYOND THE SCORESHEET:
- Faremouth set a personal-best time in the 1000 free while Smylek's 100 fly time was also a personal-best.
- Lynn has now beaten Florida Tech eight times in dual meets.
Lynn has one meet remaining before the Sunshine State Conference Championship. The Fighting Knights travel to Winter Park, Fla., to take on Rollins at 12 pm. For more information check out LynnFightingKnights.com.