BOCA RATON, Fla. – The fifth-ranked Lynn University women's tennis team opened up its 2016 campaign on a promising stride, taking it to St. Thomas University on Thursday night in a 9-0 triumph.
INSIDE THE MATCHUP:
Final: #5 Lynn 9, St. Thomas 0
Records: #5 Lynn (1-0), St. Thomas (0-1)
Location: Perper Tennis Complex | Boca Raton, Fla.
Series: Lynn leads 19-0
Get Social: Twitter - @Lynn_Knights | Instagram - @Lynn_Knights | Facebook - /LynnFightingKnights
HOW IT HAPPENED:
- The Fighting Knights wasted little time getting to work, cruising to a 3-0 lead in doubles play.
- Diana Bogolii and Rosalie Willig, the top-ranked doubles squad in the nation, continued their dominance from the fall season with an 8-1 win at No. 1 doubles.
- Grace Mpassy and Carolina Cuevas blanked St. Thomas at the second flight, while Alina Jane and Martina Gledacheva teamed up for an 8-1 victory at No. 3.
- Mpassy carried over the momentum to singles action, posting a 6-0, 6-0 win at the No. 3 slot.
- Eighth-ranked Bogolii and 23rd-ranked Willig secured the team triumph for Lynn with straight-set wins at the top singles flights.
- 20th-ranked Gledacheva, Jane and Cuevas all notched 8-1 pro-set victories in the final singles matchups to close out the sweep.
BEYOND THE BOXSCORE:
- The Fighting Knights only surrendered seven total games throughout the match, while winning 84. Mpassy was perfect on the night (20-0) between singles and doubles.
- The Blue & White have never lost to the Bobcats in program history.
- Lynn has faced St. Thomas in each of its last five season openers.
The Fighting Knights have a much-anticipated matchup when they return to action next Saturday, Feb. 13, playing host to the defending national champions Armstrong State at 9 a.m.