BOCA RATON, Fla. – The fifth-ranked Lynn University women's tennis team put up a solid fight against the top-ranked team in the nation on Saturday, but ultimately fell to Armstrong State University, 7-2.
INSIDE THE MATCHUP:
Final: #1 Armstrong 7, #5 Lynn 2
Records: #1 Armstrong (2-0), #5 Lynn (1-1)
Location: Perper Tennis Complex | Boca Raton, Fla.
Series: Lynn trails 18-10
Get Social: Twitter - @Lynn_Knights | Instagram - @Lynn_Knights | Facebook - /LynnFightingKnights
HOW IT HAPPENED:
- The Fighting Knights found themselves fighting from behind early as the Pirates came away with all three doubles matches.
- Carolina Cuevas and Grace Mpassy pushed the third-ranked doubles team in the nation, Nicole Fossa Huergo and Carolina Prats-Milan, to a tiebreaker at the No. 2 flight, but the Pirates came out on top 9-8 (7-4).
- The Blue & White picked up their two points in the match at the second and third singles flights.
- 23rd-ranked Rosalie Willig battled in a three-set duel at No. 2, upsetting fourth-ranked Lena Lutzeier 7-6 (7-4), 4-6, 6-3.
- Mpassy cruised to a 6-1 first-set win at No. 3 singles, but dropped the second, 6-3. The sophomore closed out the deciding set (6-3) to post Lynn's second triumph.
- 20th-ranked Martina Gledacheva squared off with top-ranked Alejandra Cisneros at No. 4, falling in straight sets (6-4, 6-2).
- Eighth-ranked Diana Bogolii won seven games in a straight-set defeat at the top flight.
BEYOND THE BOXSCORE:
- Bogolii and Willig suffered their first doubles loss to a non-Division I opponent in 2015-16.
- Armstrong knocked the Fighting Knights out of the NCAA tournament last season before winning the title.
The Fighting Knights next embark on a four-match away trip, starting with the first conference match of the season at Florida Southern on Saturday, Feb. 20 at 10 a.m.