BOCA RATON, Fla. – The fifth-ranked Lynn University women's tennis team continued with its winning ways on Monday evening, outlasting the Auburn University of Montgomery Warhawks in nonconference action, 5-2.
INSIDE THE MATCHUP:
Final: Lynn 5, Auburn Montgomery 2
Records: #5 Lynn (8-1), Auburn Montgomery (9-3)
Location: Perper Tennis Complex | Boca Raton, Fla.
Series: Lynn leads 10-6 all-time
Get Social: Twitter - @Lynn_Knights | Instagram - @Lynn_Knights | Facebook - /LynnFightingKnights
HOW IT HAPPENED:
- The Fighting Knights posted 8-2 wins at the top two flights of doubles, but fell to the Warhawks at No. 3, 5-8.
- The top-ranked pair of Diana Bogolii and Rosalie Willig claimed victory at No. 1 while Grace Mpassy and Carolina Cuevas followed up at No. 2 to give Lynn a 2-1 edge heading into singles.
- Mpassy made quick work of her singles opponent at the No. 3 position, blanking Iris Verweij 6-0, 6-0.
- Willig took on NAIA's 11th-ranked Paula Diaz at No. 2, prevailing in the second set, 6-2, 7-5.
- After taking the first set 6-2 at the top spot, 8th-ranked Bogolii dropped the second (5-7) to force a third frame with NAIA's 20th-ranked Kelly Southwood. Southwood grabbed the third set 6-1 to cut Lynn's lead to 4-2.
- Martina Gledacheva closed out the win for the Fighting Knights in straight sets at the No. 5 spot, 6-1, 6-3.
- Cuevas and Celine Lenertz were deadlocked in a three-set battle at No. 4 singles before the match was halted.
BEYOND THE BOXSCORE:
- Mpassy has recorded four 6-0, 6-0 singles victories this season.
Lynn remains at home for a matchup against Academy of Art on Thursday, March 17 at 3:30 p.m.