BOCA RATON, Fla. – Following an early 2-1 deficit, the fifth-ranked Lynn University women's tennis team bounced back convincingly in singles competition to come from behind on Tuesday night and take down 12th-ranked New York Institute of Technology, 5-2.
INSIDE THE MATCHUP:
Final: Lynn 5, NYIT 2
Records: #5 Lynn (10-1), #12 NYIT (17-2)
Location: Perper Tennis Complex | Boca Raton, Fla.
All-time Series: Lynn leads 1-0
Get Social: Twitter - @Lynn_Knights | Instagram - @Lynn_Knights | Facebook - /LynnFightingKnights
HOW IT HAPPENED:
- Lynn's top-ranked tandem of Diana Bogolii and Rosalie Willig notched the squad's only doubles point of the night, an 8-1 rout at the top flight.
- NYIT's eighth-ranked pair of Justyna Krol and Alessia Rossetti put the Bears on the board at No. 2 doubles, 8-4.
- The away side took the 2-1 lead following a marathon at No. 3 doubles, winning in a tiebreaker 9-8 (9-7).
- The Fighting Knights immediately responded in singles, taking the top three flights in straight sets.
- Willig won the first set at No. 2 (6-3) before her opponent was forced to retire in the second.
- Grace Mpassy defeated Gabriela Siembab at No. 3 (6-2, 6-1) to award Lynn the lead and Bogolii followed it up with a 6-0, 6-2 triumph over 38th-ranked Melanie Benyadi at the top spot.
- Martina Gledacheva secured the deciding point for Lynn at No. 5 singles, winning 6-0, 6-1. Carolina Cuevas and Alina Jane each won their opening singles sets.
BEYOND THE BOXSCORE:
- The Bears were 17-0 coming into this week, but dropped their last two matches in Florida.
- It was the first-ever matchup between the two sides.
Lynn hits the road next Tuesday, March 29 to Flagler College at 4 p.m., making up the recently postponed matchup from this past weekend.