BOCA RATON, Fla. – Lynn University's fifth-ranked women's tennis team battled back-and-forth with third-ranked Saint Leo University for nearly six hours on Sunday afternoon but ultimately fell by one to the Lions, 5-4.
INSIDE THE MATCHUP:
Final: Saint Leo 5, Lynn 4
Records: #3 Saint Leo (13-1, 3-0 SSC), #5 Lynn (13-2, 2-1 SSC)
Location: Perper Tennis Complex | Boca Raton, Fla.
All-time Series: Lynn leads 22-6
Get Social: Twitter - @Lynn_Knights | Instagram - @Lynn_Knights | Facebook - /LynnFightingKnights
HOW IT HAPPENED:
- The Lions outlasted in a pivotal match at No. 1 doubles to take a 2-1 edge over Lynn into singles. Saint Leo's ninth-ranked pair of Natalia Siedliska and Anastasia Wagner endured fourth-ranked Diana Bogolii and Rosalie Willig, 9-8 (7-5).
- Martina Gledacheva and Grace Mpassy notched the doubles point for the Fighting Knights with an 8-3 win at the third flight.
- Mpassy tied the match at 2-2 with a quick victory at No. 3 singles (6-2, 6-1), but second-ranked Siedliska put her squad back in front at the top spot.
- The Lions and Fighting Knights split the 4/5 matchups. Gledacheva posted her second win of the day at the fifth flight to keep her team alive (6-4, 6-1).
- In a battle of two top-20 players at No. 2, Willig and Isabella Robbiani traded blows throughout three sets and two tiebreakers. No. 16 Robbiani came out on top to clinch the match for Saint Leo -- 6-7 (6-8), 6-3, 7-6 (7-4).
- Alina Jane closed out the day with a 6-2, 4-6, 6-2 triumph in the six spot.
BEYOND THE BOXSCORE:
- It is the first loss for the Fighting Knights since the second match of the season (Feb. 13). They had won their last 12 outings.
Lynn returns to action at home on Tuesday, April 5 when its hosts No. 7 Nova Southeastern at 3 p.m.