BOCA RATON, Fla. – Seventh-ranked Nova Southeastern University received strong performances from its top half of the lineup on Tuesday evening as the fifth-ranked Lynn University women's tennis team fell to the Sharks in Sunshine State Conference action, 5-4.
INSIDE THE MATCHUP:
Final: Nova Southeastern 5, Lynn 4
Records: #7 Nova Southeastern (12-1, 4-0 SSC), #5 Lynn (13-3, 2-2 SSC)
Location: Perper Tennis Complex | Boca Raton, Fla.
Series: Lynn leads 26-2 all-time
Get Social: Twitter - @Lynn_Knights | Instagram - @Lynn_Knights | Facebook - /LynnFightingKnights
HOW IT HAPPENED:
- Lynn dropped the top two doubles contests, but Martina Gledacheva and Grace Mpassy prevented the sweep with an 8-2 triumph at No. 3.
- In singles, Lynn knotted up the score right away (2-2) behind a dominant performance from Gledacheva at the five spot. The sophomore blanked Carlee Rizzolo, 6-0, 6-0.
- Mpassy, playing at No. 3, went up against 28th-ranked Petra Jurova and was handed her first loss of the season, 2-6, 2-6.
- NSU extended its lead behind a 6-1, 6-3 victory from third-ranked Klaudia Boczova at the top spot.
- Carolina Cuevas kept the home side alive with a 6-0, 6-3 win at No. 4, but the Sharks clinched shortly after in a three-setter at No. 2.
- After seeing the first set slip away from her, Alina Jane bounced back at No. 6 with a win for the Fighting Knights to cap off the action (6-7, 6-1, 6-3).
BEYOND THE BOXSCORE:
- Lynn won the first 26 matchups ever between the two programs, but the Sharks were victors each of the last two seasons.
- The Blue & White dropped consecutive matches for the first time since the 2013 postseason.
Lynn hits the road this weekend for conference matchups against Rollins, Tampa and Florida Tech.