Tampa, Fla. – The fifth-ranked Lynn University women's tennis team made quick work of Rollins College on Thursday morning in the first round of the Sunshine State Conference Championships. The third-seeded Fighting Knights dropped the sixth-seeded Tars 5-0 to advance on in the tournament.
INSIDE THE MATCHUP:
Final: Lynn 5, Rollins 0
Records: #5 Lynn (19-3), Rollins (12-9)
Location: HCC Tennis Complex | Tampa, Fla.
All-time Series: Lynn leads 36-4
Get Social: Twitter - @Lynn_Knights | Instagram - @Lynn_Knights | Facebook - /LynnFightingKnights
HOW IT HAPPENED:
- The Blue & White swept the doubles action to claim a comfortable lead heading into singles.
- Lynn posted identical 8-3 wins at the first and third flights and closed out the sweep at No. 2, 8-5.
- Diana Bogolli and Rosalie Willig picked up their 14th win of the season at the top spot, Carolina Cuevas and Alina Jane teamed up at No. 2 while Grace Mpassy and Martina Gledacheva triumphed at No. 3 to remain undefeated together on the year.
- The Fighting Knights only needed two singles points to secure the win, receiving straight-set victories at the second and third positions to close it out.
- 25th-ranked Willig cruised through Savanna Fuller at No. 3 (6-0, 6-2) while 8th-ranked Bogolii finished strong at No. 2 (6-2, 6-0) against Carli Davis to end the match.
- Mpassy (#1), Cuevas (#4) and Gledacheva (#5) each won their respective first sets before play was halted.
BEYOND THE BOXSCORE:
- The Fighting Knights also defeated the Tars 5-0 in last year's SSC quarterfinal match.
- Bogolii and Willig have each won their past six singles matches.
Lynn returns to the court tomorrow morning, April 29 at 9 a.m. to take on Nova Southeastern in the SSC semifinals.