Tampa, Fla. – After a less-than-stellar performance against Nova Southeastern at home during the regular season, the fifth-ranked and third-seeded Lynn University women's tennis team was clearly on a redemptive mission Friday morning. The Fighting Knights came out firing, taking down the fourth-ranked and second-seeded Sharks 5-1 in the Sunshine State Conference semifinals.
INSIDE THE MATCHUP:
Final: Lynn 5, Nova Southeastern 1
Records: #5 Lynn (20-3), #4 Nova Southeastern (15-4)
Location: HCC Tennis Complex | Tampa, Fla.
All-time Series: Lynn leads 27-2
Get Social: Twitter - @Lynn_Knights | Instagram - @Lynn_Knights | Facebook - /LynnFightingKnights
HOW IT HAPPENED:
- The Fighting Knights battled out a huge victory at No. 1 doubles to sweep all three tandem matchups.
- Grace Mpassy and Martina Gledacheva opened up the scoring with an 8-1 victory at No. 3.
- After building a big lead early, Carolina Cuevas and Alina Jane came out on top at the second flight, 8-6.
- Going up against the fifth-ranked pair in the nation, Diana Bogolii and Rosalie Willig fought off a comeback attempt and secured the doubles sweep with a crucial 9-7 win at the top position.
- Nova Southeastern scored the first point of singles competition at No. 1 following a Lynn retirement, but the momentum stopped there.
- Jane gave the Blue & White its fourth point with a 6-2, 6-4 victory at No. 6 singles before Bogolii closed out the match at the two-spot over 19th-ranked Sabrina Kierberg (6-2, 6-2).
- Cuevas (#4) & Gledacheva (#5) were each up a set in their singles contests.
BEYOND THE BOXSCORE:
- Bogolii clinched the match with the deciding-fifth point in both tournament wins this weekend.
- Lynn returns to the SSC finals for the first time since 2012.
Lynn returns to the courts tomorrow, Saturday, April 30 for the SSC title match at 9 a.m. against fourth-seeded Barry.