BOCA RATON, Fla. – Beating a highly-talented team three times in one season is a tough feat to accomplish, but that is exactly what Lynn University's fifth-ranked women's tennis team did on Sunday afternoon as the Fighting Knights defeated sixth-ranked Barry University, 5-1, in the NCAA South Region 2 Final to clinch a berth at the Division II National Championship.
INSIDE THE MATCHUP:
Final: Lynn 5, Barry 1
Records: #5 Lynn (22-3), #6 Barry (18-4)
Location: Perper Tennis Complex | Boca Raton, Fla.
All-time Series: Lynn leads 43-15
Get Social: Twitter - @Lynn_Knights | Instagram - @Lynn_Knights | Facebook - /LynnFightingKnights
HOW IT HAPPENED:
- An unbelievable comeback victory from the Fighting Knights at No. 3 doubles proved to be the turning point in the match as Lynn swept the Bucs 3-0 in tandem play.
- Diana Bogolii and Rosalie Willig got things going at the top spot with an 8-3 triumph.
- Alina Jane and Carolina Cuevas went back-and-forth with Emma Onila and Ana Pain at the No. 2 position before grinding out an 8-6 win.
- Grace Mpassy and Martina Gledacheva were all but finished at No. 3, trailing the entire contest and nearing defeat down 7-4. The pair made some key adjustments and slowly clawed back until completing the miraculous comeback in a tiebreaker, 9-8 (7-5).
- The Bucs notched their lone point in the match on a retirement at No. 1 singles.
- Lynn didn't let its opposition build any momentum, securing the final two points in dominant fashion.
- At No. 6, Jane blanked Alisa Rudenko (6-0, 6-0) while eighth-ranked Bogolii clinched her squad's victory with a 6-1, 6-1 win at No. 2 over 15th-ranked Zuza Maciejewska.
- Cuevas and Gledacheva were each up a set in their respective singles contests.
BEYOND THE BOXSCORE:
- Lynn has defeated Barry in all three matchups this year (regular season, SSC Championship, South Region #2 Final). Coming into this season, Barry had won nine straight dating back to 2011.
- The Fighting Knights are making their second consecutive appearance at the NCAA National Championship and 18th in the last 20 years.
- Jane improves to 15-0 this season when playing at No. 6 singles.
The Fighting Knights will compete at the NCAA Division II National Championship in Denver, Colo. beginning on May 18. The team's Round of 16 opponent will not be released until all regional brackets are complete in the next few days. Stay tuned to LynnFightingKnights.com and Lynn_Knights on Twitter for updates.