Lakeland, Fla. – The Lynn University women's tennis team saw its first action of the 2016-17 season on Friday at the USTA/ITA Regional Championships. The Fighting Knights, boasting a plethora of highly-seeded players, were flawless on the day without a single setback.
INSIDE THE TOURNAMENT:
Event: ITA 2016 South Region Championships, presented by Oracle
Host: Florida Southern College
Location: Warden Tennis Center | Lakeland, Fla.
Tournament Dates: Sept. 23-26
Get Social: Twitter - @Lynn_Knights | Instagram - @Lynn_Knights | Facebook - /LynnFightingKnights
- Seeded Fighting Knights Rosalie Willig (#1), Diana Bogolii (#2) and Grace Mpassy (#4) all received first-round byes.
- First-year player and No. 5 seed Stefanie Stemmer defeated Bailey Koronick (EC), 6-0, 6-2.
- Western Kentucky transfer Tereza Hejlova was victorious in her first appearance in the Blue and White, dropping Nova Southeastern's Iasabella Lowrey, 6-3, 6-2.
- All five Fighting Knights posted straight-set triumphs in the second round.
- Willig defeated Mariana Castaneiras (FIT), 6-2, 6-1; Bogolii dropped Jordana Lujan (UWF), 6-0, 6-2; Mpassy cruised past Heather Mixon (UWF), 6-2, 6-3; Stemmer bested AUM's Alejandra Gil, 6-4, 6-4; and Hejlova won her second of the day over FSC's ninth-seeded Sasha Nionova, 6-3, 6-4.
- No. 1 seed Willig/Bogolii and No. 3 seed Hejlova/Stemmer each received first-round byes and will see their first doubles action of the season tomorrow in the second round.
- Four of Lynn's five singles competitors were slotted within the top-eight seeds of the tournament.
- Bogolii and Willig were the doubles champions at this event last year, and would move on to win the Small College National Championship and then the Super Bowl.
- The Fighting Knights didn't lose a set on the day.
Doubles play starts the action tomorrow, Saturday, Sept. 24 at 8:30 a.m.