Surprise, Ariz. – Lynn University's women's tennis seniors Rosalie Willig and Diana Bogolii won their opening two doubles matches on Thursday in Arizona, advancing through to Friday's Division II national championship bout at the 2016 Intercollegiate Tennis Association (ITA) Oracle Cup.
INSIDE THE TOURNAMENT:
Event: 2016 ITA Oracle Cup
Location: Surprise Tennis & Racquet Complex | Surprise, Ariz.
Tournament Dates: Oct. 13-16
Get Social: Twitter - @Lynn_Knights | Instagram - @Lynn_Knights | Facebook - /LynnFightingKnights
- Bogolii, the singles champion out of the South region, drew the No. 2 seed at the national tournament but fell in a tight opening-round match. Bogolii was unable to bounce back from a tiebreaker setback in the opening frame, falling to Washburn's Madeline Hill, 7-6 (4), 6-4.
- The Kiyv, Ukraine native will battle it out in the consolation bracket tomorrow, taking on NYIT's Gabriela Siembab.
- Second-seeded Bogolii and Willig got off on the right track to defending their title, cruising past Academy of Art twins, Alma and Klara Thel-Lenntorp. The Blue & White tandem needed just 15 games for the win (6-2, 6-1).
- The pair faced third-seeded Dora Andrejszki and Nora Mindiyarova of Lewis University in the semifinals, taking down the juniors in straight sets, 6-2, 6-4.
- The Fighting Knights will find top-seeded Diana Stomlega and Lena Lutzeier from Armstrong State in tomorrow's championship match.
BEYOND THE BOXSCORE:
- Three of the four seeded players in the singles bracket were upset in the opening round.
- Bogolii and Willig won the Division II doubles title at this event last year, defeating a different Armstrong State squad, and would eventually win two more matches to claim the Super Bowl crown.
- The ITA Oracle Cup is formerly known as the ITA Small College National Championships.
- The winners of the DII singles and doubles brackets will compete with the winners of the NCAA DIII, NAIA and Junior College brackets to capture the ITA Oracle Cup title. Winners of the ITA Oracle Cup earn a wildcard berth into the ITA National Indoor Championships in November.
Bogolii and Willig look to defend their Division II title in the doubles championship match tomorrow, Friday, Oct. 14 at 3 p.m. MST.