Surprise, Ariz. – Diana Bogolii and Rosalie Willig of the Lynn University women's tennis team picked up another plaudit to their names on Friday as the pairing became the ITA Division II national champions in doubles for the second consecutive year.
INSIDE THE TOURNAMENT:
Event: 2016 ITA Oracle Cup
Location: Surprise Tennis & Racquet Complex | Surprise, Ariz.
Tournament Dates: Oct. 13-16
Get Social: Twitter - @Lynn_Knights | Instagram - @Lynn_Knights | Facebook - /LynnFightingKnights
- Bogolii withdrew from singles play.
- Going up against a familiar foe in Armstrong State's Diana Stomlega and Lena Lutzeier that ended the Blue & White duo's spring season at the NCAA National Championships, the Fighting Knights were determined to come out on top. Lynn dispatched the Pirates in straight sets, claiming the title with a 6-3, 6-3 tally.
- "It was a tough go of it, but Diana and Rosie showed composure and the ability to adapt during the match. This is really well deserved as winning two in a row takes toughness and desire." – head coach Mike Perez
- "We had two tough losses against this team last year and we are glad that we could bounce back and get our revenge this time." – Rosie & Diana
BEYOND THE BOXSCORE:
- Willig and Bogolii defeated a different ASU squad in last year's DII final.
- The pair moves on to tomorrow's semifinal round of the Oracle Cup, taking on the winners from the DIII, NAIA and Junior College brackets. Winners of the ITA Oracle Cup earn a wildcard berth into the ITA National Indoor Championships in November.
- This marks the fourth year in a row the Lynn's women's tennis team has claimed a DII national championship at the event, as Valentine Confalonieri won the singles title in 2013 and 2014 while Bogolii and Willig were winners in 2015. Daniel Riggs and Paolo Volpicelli also won the doubles title in 2014 on the men's side to mark the fifth DII national championship for Lynn in the past four years.
- The ITA Oracle Cup is formerly known as the ITA Small College National Championships.
The draw for the final two days of the Oracle Cup has yet to be determined. The tandem will compete again tomorrow afternoon, Saturday, Oct. 15 in the semifinals.