Surprise, Ariz. – Rosalie Willig and Diana Bogolii punched their tickets back to the Big Apple on Sunday after the Lynn University women's tennis tandem won the Intercollegiate Tennis Association (ITA) Oracle Cup doubles championship for the second year in a row. The dynamic duo will next head to the ITA National Indoor Championships in Flushing, N.Y.
INSIDE THE TOURNAMENT:
Event: 2016 ITA Oracle Cup
Location: Surprise Tennis & Racquet Complex | Surprise, Ariz.
Tournament Dates: Oct. 13-16
Get Social: Twitter - @Lynn_Knights | Instagram - @Lynn_Knights | Facebook - /LynnFightingKnights
Oracle Cup Finals
- After defeating the NAIA champions in the semifinals yesterday, the Fighting Knights matched up against Division III winners Bridget Harding and Katarina Su from Emory University in the title match.
- After taking the opening set, 6-2, Bogolii and Willig needed to battle in the second and prevailed, 7-5, to secure the championship in straight sets.
- "The road to this title was extremely difficult. Georgia Gwinnett and Emory played outstanding doubles and Diana had to withstand a wrist injury. Rosie and Diana really stepped up and wanted to repeat. Major kudos to them for showing real grit." - head coach Mike Perez
- "We are very happy to defend our title and have another chance to compete against the best teams in Division I. Going back to New York is a huge achievement and we are looking forward to the challenge. We now know what to expect and how hard it will be but we have gathered experiences from last year and we are ready to play hard." - Rosie & Diana
BEYOND THE BOXSCORE:
- As the winners of the ITA Oracle Cup, the Lynn pair earns a wildcard berth into the ITA National Indoor Championships in November, consisting of the top Division I teams from around the country.
- This is the second year in a row that Bogolii and Willig were the ultimate champions at this event, marking the two fall season doubles titles in the program's storied history.
- Valentine Confalonieri was the back-to-back singles champion at this event for Lynn in 2013-14.
- The ITA Oracle Cup is formerly known as the ITA Small College National Championships, with the final two days referred to as the Super Bowl.
Willig and Bogolii will next head to Flushing, N.Y. for the 2016 USTA/ITA National Indoor Intercollegiate Championships, taking place from Nov. 3-6.