Flushing, N.Y. – Women's tennis seniors Diana Bogolii and Rosalie Willig continue to put Lynn University in the national spotlight as the squad won their opening-round match on Thursday at the ITA National Indoor Intercollegiate Championships. In the draw featuring Lynn and 19 of the top NCAA Division I doubles teams across the country, the dynamic duo pulled out a straight-set victory in the first round before falling to the No. 1 team in D1.
INSIDE THE TOURNAMENT:
Event: 2016 USTA/ITA National Indoor Intercollegiate Championships
Location: USTA Billie Jean King National Tennis Center | Flushing, N.Y.
Tournament Dates: Nov. 3-6
Get Social: Twitter - @Lynn_Knights | Instagram - @Lynn_Knights | Facebook - /LynnFightingKnights
- The Fighting Knights drew Vivienne Kulicke and Milou Pietersz out of the University of Texas at El Paso in the first round, dropping the Miners squad in straight sets.
- Bogolii and Willig jumped out 2-0 lead in the first set and remained in front for a 6-4 win.
- The sides traded a pair of three-game runs in the second set and played to a 6-6 tie. Lynn dominated the tiebreaker however (7-2) to secure the victory and advance in the tournament.
- A daunting matchup awaited the Fighting Knights in the next round as the tournament's top-seeded tandem of Hayley Carter and Jessie Aney from UNC received a first-round bye.
- The Blue and White pair was ultimately overmatched, suffering a 6-1, 6-3 defeat.
- "It has been a great run for Rosie and Diana. They were able to get a nice win the first round against UTEP without playing their best, but showed grit to prevail. The second round was a tremendous challenge playing the best doubles team in the country and the top seed in D1. We fought but couldn't overcome a great UNC team. I am very proud of their achievements this fall." – head coach Mike Perez
BEYOND THE BOXSCORE:
- The win marks the second-ever at this event (first in doubles) for the Lynn women's tennis program.
- Bogolii and Willig earned their second consecutive trip to this prestigious event after winning the ITA Oracle Cup in Surprise, Ariz. on Oct. 16.
- Last year, the pair won the first set in both of their matches but were ultimately defeated in super-breakers both times.
- The Blue and White have now been represented at the NIIC's on the women's side for four straight years. Valentine Confalonieri competed in singles in 2013 and 2014.
The Lynn squad will compete in the consolation bracket tomorrow, Friday, Nov. 4. They will face Michigan's Kate Fahey and Alex Najarian at 4 p.m.