Saint Leo, Fla. – Lynn University's second-ranked women's tennis team posted another dominant Sunshine State Conference victory on Friday, closing out the 2017 regular season with a 5-0 triumph on the road over 29th-ranked Saint Leo.
INSIDE THE MATCHUP:
Final: Lynn 5, Saint Leo 0
Records: #2 Lynn (18-1, 8-1 SSC), #29 Saint Leo (9-6, 5-4 SSC)
Location: Saint Leo Tennis Center | Saint Leo, Fla.
All-time Series: Lynn leads 23-6
Get Social: Twitter - @Lynn_Knights | Instagram - @Lynn_Knights | Facebook - /LynnFightingKnights
- As they have done throughout the entire season, the Fighting Knights got off to a solid start with strong doubles play.
- Martina Gledacheva and Tereza Hejlova, playing together for the first time since Feb. 18, started things off with an 8-0 rout at No. 3 doubles.
- Rosalie Willig and Stefanie Stemmer won at the top flight, 8-5, with Diana Bogolii and Grace Mpassy winning at No. 2, 8-2.
- In a battle of top-25 singles player at the No. 1 spot, 14th-ranked Mpassy won the first seven games of the match before 23rd-ranked Marine Beugre-Guyot retired.
- Stemmer sealed the deal with a 6-2, 6-1 triumph at No. 4 singles.
- Bogolii was up a set at No. 3 while the Lions won the opening set in the No. 2 match.
BEYOND THE BOXSCORE:
- Lynn gets back on top in the series' recent history as the Lions had defeated the Fighting Knights four consecutive times coming into today's match.
- The Fighting Knights blanked their opponent in seven of the eight SSC victories this season.
The Fighting Knights will be the No. 2 seed in next week's SSC Tournament, beginning on Thursday, April 20 at IMG Academy in Bradenton, Fla.