Altamonte Springs, Fla. – As the heat turns up, so does the play of the Fighting Knights. Lynn University's third-ranked women's tennis team made quick work of a talented Columbus St. squad on Thursday morning in the NCAA Division II National Quarterfinals. The Blue and White posted a 5-0 triumph over the fourth-ranked Cougars and now advance to the Final Four for the first time since 2011.
INSIDE THE MATCHUP:
Final: Lynn 5, CSU 0
Records: #3 Lynn (23-2), #4 CSU (25-3)
Location: Sanlando Park | Altamonte Springs, Fla.
All-time Series: Lynn leads 5-0
Get Social: Twitter - @Lynn_Knights | Instagram - @Lynn_Knights | Facebook - /LynnFightingKnights
- Lynn got back to its normal routine by starting off the match with a 3-0 advantage after doubles play.
- At No. 2 doubles, 11th-ranked Diana Bogolii and Grace Mpassy notched the first point of the day with an 8-4 victory.
- Tereza Hejlova and Martina Gledacheva bounced back following yesterday's setback, holding off the Cougars at No. 3 for a 9-7 triumph.
- In a ranked battle at the top doubles flight, No. 3 Rosalie Willig and Stefanie Stemmer bested No. 5 Beatriz Lopez and Beatriz Leon, 8-6.
- The Fighting Knights took the opening set in five of the six singles matches, with the top two positions closing out first in straight sets to clinch the win.
- With four unfinished results and a loss in the conference final, seventh-ranked Mpassy finally netted her first singles win of the postseason with a 6-1, 6-1 rout at the top flight.
- At No. 2, 17th-ranked Willig closed out 27th-ranked Giorgia Vitale in straight sets, 6-4, 6-2.
- Bogolii was nearing in on victory over 19th-ranked Lopez at No. 3 with a 4-3 lead in the second set.
BEYOND THE BOXSCORE:
- The Blue and White return to the national semifinals for the first time since a national runner-up finish in 2011.
- Lynn improves its season-long doubles record to 72-3 (.960).
- Bogolli and Mpassy each remain undefeated in doubles this season at 25-0 and are 17-0 when playing together.
- Lynn played CSU during the regular season with the same 5-0 result. The Cougars finish the 2017 season with a 25-3 record as the Fighting Knights dealt them two of their three losses on the year.
Lynn will battle sixth-ranked and West Region II champions Hawaii Pacific in the NCAA National Semifinals tomorrow, Friday, May 12 at 9 a.m. from Sanlando Park. The two teams last met in 2014 during the regular season where the Fighting Knights posted a 5-4 victory.