Altamonte Springs, Fla. – Lynn University's women's tennis team was on the doorstep of the ultimate goal on Saturday morning but was unable to get past high-powered Barry University. The third-ranked Fighting Knights found themselves in an early hole, ultimately suffering at 5-0 defeat to the second-ranked Bucs in the 2017 NCAA Division II National Championship match.
INSIDE THE MATCHUP:
Final: Barry 5, Lynn 0
Records: #2 Barry (30-0), #3 Lynn (24-3)
Location: Sanlando Park | Altamonte Springs, Fla.
All-time Series: Lynn leads 43-18
Get Social: Twitter - @Lynn_Knights | Instagram - @Lynn_Knights | Facebook - /LynnFightingKnights
HOW IT HAPPENED:
- For the first time this season, the Fighting Knights trailed heading into singles play following a doubles deficit.
- The Bucs first got on the board with an 8-2 victory at No. 3 doubles.
- Grace Mpassy and Diana Bogolii suffered their first doubles loss as a pair in 19 attempts with an 8-4 setback at No. 2.
- Third-ranked Stefanie Stemmer and Rosalie Willig went game-for-game with fourth-ranked Ana Pain and Sonja Larsen at the top flight, but ultimately fell, 8-6.
- Barry was in the driver's seats heading into singles competition and won the opening set in five of the six solo matches.
- The Bucs clinched the match at the tail end of the lineup with straight-set wins at the fifth and sixth flights.
- At the top position, Mpassy grinded out a tiebreaker win in the opening set.
BEYOND THE BOXSCORE:
- The Lynn women's tennis program now has nine appearances in the NCAA National Championship match, four more than any other team in the Sunshine State Conference. Lynn has won the title three times with six runner-up finishes.
- Barry wins its third NCAA National Championship, tying Lynn for the most in league history.
- Lynn concludes the season with a 75-6 (.926) record in doubles play, setting a program record for doubles winning percentage in a season. The 2008 season when Lynn went 77-10 (.885) held as the previous high mark. Lynn's 75 doubles wins is tied for the third most-ever in school history.
- Bogolii and Mpassy both finish the season with 26-1 records in doubles (18-1 when playing together). They fell one win shy of tying the program record for most doubles wins in a season (Alexandra Schunk, 27-1, 2007).
- Lynn suffered just three losses this season, all to Barry (regular season, SSC title match, NCAA National Championship). Last year, the Fighting Knights defeated Barry in all three matchups (regular season, SSC title match, NCAA South Region final).
- The Fighting Knights lose five players to graduation (Willig, Carolina Cuevas, Mpassy, Martina Gledacheva and Stemmer).
- Career records for the departing Fighting Knights…
- Willig – Singles (72-10); Doubles (81-20)
- Mpassy – Singles (51-9); Doubles (61-13)
- Gledacheva – Singles (53-10); Doubles (55-13)
- Cuevas – Singles (38-13); Doubles (50-16)
- Stemmer – Singles (18-2); Doubles (24-2)