BOCA RATON, Fla. – A starting lineup that featured five new players proved to be no roadblock for the No. 1-ranked Lynn University women's tennis team as the Fighting Knights routed NAIA's 25th-ranked St. Thomas in the 2018 season opener on Thursday night, 9-0.
INSIDE THE MATCHUP:
Final: #1 Lynn 9, St. Thomas 0
Records: #1 Lynn (1-0), St. Thomas (0-1)
Location: Perper Tennis Complex| Boca Raton, Fla.
All-time Series: Lynn leads 21-0
Get Social: Twitter - @Lynn_Knights | Instagram - @Lynn_Knights | Facebook - /LynnFightingKnights
HOW IT HAPPENED:
- Diana Bogolii and Klaudia Boczova immediately showcased their potential as being one of the most formidable doubles tandems in the country in a dominant 8-1 victory at the top flight.
- Lynn's No. 2 (Anastacia Parkin/Eleonora Liga) and No. 3 (Federica Mordegan/Natalie Kallmunzerova) doubles squads also posted 8-1 wins.
- The Fighting Knights quickly went to work in singles play with straight-set victories at the top three flights. Boczova and 15th-ranked Kallmunzerova each won 6-0, 6-1 at the top two spots, respectively, with Mordegan blanking her opponent at No. 3.
- The bottom half of the lineup each played an eight-game pro set.
- 16th-ranked Bogolii and Liga each surrounded just one game apiece at the No. 4 and 5 slots with Parkin securing an 8-5 triumph at No. 6.
BEYOND THE BOXSCORE:
- Lynn's 2018 roster features seven newcomers and just one returner. Five players made their Blue and White debut tonight.
- Lynn opened its season with a win over St. Thomas for the seventh year in a row.
- St. Thomas is ranked No. 25 in the NAIA National Coaches Poll.
Lynn has a special matchup this weekend as the Fighting Knights host Stetson University in the sixth installment of the South Florida Showdown. First serve is slated for 10 a.m. on Saturday, Feb. 3.