BOCA RATON, Fla. – Following a short delay as overnight rain occupied the Perper Tennis Complex early this morning, Lynn University's women's tennis team hosted NCAA Division I Stetson University on Saturday for the sixth installment of the South Florida Showdown. The Fighting Knights were not able to overcome a deficit from doubles play as the Hatters secured a 7-2 victory.
INSIDE THE MATCHUP:
Final: Stetson 7, Lynn 2
Records: Stetson (2-1), Lynn (1-1)
Location: Perper Tennis Complex| Boca Raton, Fla.
All-time Series: Lynn leads 2-1
Get Social: Twitter - @Lynn_Knights | Instagram - @Lynn_Knights | Facebook - /LynnFightingKnights
HOW IT HAPPENED:
- The Hatters built an early lead with a 2-1 advantage through doubles play that would give the visitors momentum heading into singles competition.
- Diana Bogolii and Klaudia Boczova turned in another strong doubles performance for the second consecutive match, downing their opponents at the top flight, 8-3.
- At No. 3 doubles, Federica Mordegan and Natalie Kallmunzerova fought back from an early deficit but were defeated, 8-6.
- Stetson took the No. 2 doubles matchup, 8-1.
- Boczova quickly knotted the match up at 2-2 with a dominant 6-0, 6-1 victory in the No. 1 singles match.
- The Hatters took control of the match and sealed the victory with straight-set wins at the No. 2, 3, 4 and 6 singles flights.
- At No. 5 singles, Eleonora Liga won the opening frame 6-2 before being edged in the second set, 7-5. In a third-set 10-point super breaker, Liga was two points away from victory (8-6) before an injury forced retirement.
BEYOND THE BOXSCORE:
- Today's contest featured the sixth matchup in Lynn University's 2017-18 South Florida Showdown, pitting the Division II Fighting Knights against six Division I schools in nine games.
- Lynn defeated Stetson in both the 1990 and 1991 seasons. This is the first time the two teams have met since.
- Today marks Lynn's first loss to a team not named Barry University since the 2016 NCAA National Round of 16.
Lynn will need to bounce back quickly as the Fighting Knights host sixth-ranked Flagler College tomorrow morning, Sunday, Feb. 4, at 10 a.m.