Lakeland, Fla. – The Lynn University's women's tennis team saw itself trailing after doubles play on Friday but strong singles play lifted the top-ranked Fighting Knights to a 6-3 victory at 17th-ranked Florida Southern College in the squad's first Sunshine State Conference tilt of the season.
INSIDE THE MATCHUP:
Final: Lynn 6, FSC 3
Records: #1 Lynn (5-1, 1-0 SSC), #17 FSC (1-1, 1-1 SSC)
Location: Wynee Warden Tennis Center | Lakeland, Fla.
All-Time Series: Lynn leads 34-0
Get Social: Twitter - @Lynn_Knights | Instagram - @Lynn_Knights | Facebook - /LynnFightingKnights
HOW IT HAPPENED:
- The Fighting Knights trailed 2-1 after doubles play – a rare occurrence for this program over the past couple seasons.
- Natalie Kallmunzerova and Eliska Petrackova picked up Lynn's lone point in pairs competition with a dominant 8-1 win at No. 2 doubles.
- Lynn did put up a fight in the other two matches as FSC took No. 1 doubles, 8-6, and No. 3 doubles, 9-7.
- Wins at the top four singles flights quickly turned the tides and clinched the match for the Blue and White.
- Klaudia Boczova knocked off another ranked opponent at the top flight, besting 13th-ranked Sasha Nionova in straight sets (6-3, 6-0).
- 16th-ranked Diana Bogolii posted a 6-3, 6-4 triumph at No. 2 singles.
- 15th-ranked Kallmunzerova picked up her second win of the day with a 7-5, 6-3 decision at the third flight.
- Eleonora Liga (6-1, 6-4) and Federica Mordegan (6-1, 6-1) logged straight-set wins at the No. 4 and No. 6 spots, respectively.
- The Mocs tallied their last win at No. 5 singles, 7-5, 2-6, 10-8.
BEYOND THE BOXSCORE:
- Today's 6-3 final was the closest match between these two teams since 2014.
- FSC has only played two matches so far this season, and both have been in conference.
- Boczova and Bogolii suffered their first loss of the season. Petrackova is the last remaining Fighting Knight without a doubles loss this season at 3-0.
Lynn will have a bit of a break before hosting Hillsdale College at 3 p.m. on Monday, March 5.