BOCA RATON, Fla. – Lynn University's fourth-ranked women's tennis team rebounded from an early deficit following doubles but could not hold on as the Fighting Knights had their 10-match winning streak snapped on Wednesday in a 5-4 setback to No. 13 Columbus State University.
INSIDE THE MATCHUP:
Final: CSU 5, Lynn 4
Records: #4 Lynn (11-2), #13 CSU (11-1)
Location: Perper Tennis Complex | Boca Raton, Fla.
All-time Series: Lynn leads 6-1
Get Social: Twitter - @Lynn_Knights | Instagram - @Lynn_Knights | Facebook - /LynnFightingKnights
HOW IT HAPPENED:
- The Cougars picked up a 2-1 lead with wins at the back end of the doubles lineup.
- Klaudia Boczova and Eliska Petrackova secured Lynn's first point with an 8-5 victory at No. 1 doubles.
- The Cougars took the second doubles flight, 8-5, and the third, 8-3.
- Boczova went to work in singles play and quickly knotted the match at 2-2 with a big 6-2, 6-1 win over third-ranked Beatriz Lopez at the top position.
- The Fighting Knights next took a 3-2 lead as Federica Mordegan posted a clutch 7-6 (7-4), 7-5 win at No. 3.
- CSU's doubles advantage then came in handy as the Cougars fired off three consecutive wins in singles play to clinch the deciding fifth point.
- 41st-ranked Diana Bogolii and 72nd-ranked Noa Davico had a battle at No. 2, but Davico prevailed, 4-6, 6-4, 7-5.
- Anastacia Parkin closed out the night with a 2-6, 7-5, 10-4 triumph for Lynn at No. 6 singles.
BEYOND THE BOXSCORE:
- Tonight's match marks CSU's first-ever victory over Lynn.
- The Fighting Knights lost to a Division II opponent at home for the first time since April 5, 2016, when Nova Southeastern won, 5-4. Boczova was the Sharks' No. 1 top player at the time.
- With the Lynn men also losing to CSU tonight, both of Lynn's tennis programs lost at home on the same night for the first time since April 3, 2016, when Saint Leo defeated Lynn 5-4 in both matchups.
Lynn returns to conference play this weekend with a 1 p.m. match at Embry-Riddle on Saturday, March 24.