BOCA RATON, Fla. – South Florida's women's tennis rivalry between Lynn University and Barry University did not fail to disappoint with excitement once again as the No. 4 Bucs pulled out a 5-4 Sunshine State Conference victory over the No. 7 Fighting Knights on Tuesday. Klaudia Boczova recorded two big wins for the Blue and White while Barry clinches the SSC regular season championship.
INSIDE THE MATCHUP:
Final: Barry 5, Lynn 4
Records: #4 Barry (19-0, 9-0 SSC), #7 Lynn (14-3, 6-1 SSC)
Location: Perper Tennis Complex | Boca Raton, Fla.
All-time Series: Lynn leads 43-19
Get Social: Twitter - @Lynn_Knights | Instagram - @Lynn_Knights | Facebook - /LynnFightingKnights
HOW IT HAPPENED:
- Barry secured a clutch early advantage with a 2-1 lead after doubles play.
- No. 3 doubles finished first, with Barry's 35th-ranked squad winning 8-2.
- Boczova logged her first upset of the day at No. 1 doubles as her and Eliska Petrackova, the 28th-ranked duo in the country, bested 14th-ranked Verena Schmid and Sonja Larsen, 8-6.
- Federica Mordegan and Anastacia Parkin nearly pulled off a comeback at the second flight, but fell 8-6.
- In singles play, Barry quickly pushed the score to 4-1 with straight-set wins at the No. 3 and No. 6 positions.
- No. 8 Boczova got the best of No. 2 Larsen once again, toppling the German senior at the top flight, 6-2, 6-0.
- Mordegan kept the Blue and White alive with a quality 6-1, 6-2 triumph at No. 2 singles.
- The Bucs clinched the match with a 6-2, 6-2 win at No. 5.
- Eliska Petrackova and Zuza Maziejewska split sets at No. 4 singles before the Buccaneer retired.
BEYOND THE BOXSCORE:
- Larsen had won 44 straight singles matches in dual play coming into today's matchup with Boczova. Less than two weeks ago, Larsen notched career singles victory No. 74, breaking Barry's all-time program record.
- Larsen spent the majority of this season ranked No. 1 in the country for singles.
- At 9-0 in conference play with only one match to go, Barry claims the 2018 SSC regular season title.
- Three of the last four and four of the last seven matchups over the past three seasons between these two programs have been decided by a 5-4 tally.
- Barry defeated Lynn in the NCAA Division II National Championship last season.
- In 2016, Lynn pulled off the trifecta against the Bucs, besting Barry in the regular season, SSC Championship and NCAA South Region Final.
The Fighting Knights host their final regular-season match of the year this Thursday, March 5, at 3 p.m. vs. Nova Southeastern.