Bradenton, Fla. – Lynn University's women's tennis team was unable to keep up with a high-powered Barry University squad in the Sunshine State Conference Tournament title match on Saturday. The top-ranked and No. 1 seeded Bucs claimed the championship over fifth-ranked and second-seeded Lynn with a 5-1 final decision.
INSIDE THE MATCHUP:
Final: Barry 5, Lynn 1
Records: #1 Barry (23-0), #5 Lynn (19-4)
Location: IMG Academy | Bradenton Fla.
All-Time Series: Lynn leads 43-20
Get Social: Twitter - @Lynn_Knights | Instagram - @Lynn_Knights | Facebook - /LynnFightingKnights
HOW IT HAPPENED:
- The Fighting Knights were swept in doubles play for the first time this season.
- All three of Barry's nationally-ranked doubles squads garnered wins. They took No. 1, 8-1, No. 2, 8-6 and No.3, 8-5.
- Three points into the No. 4 singles match, Lynn was forced to retire due to an injury sustained at the end of doubles, giving Barry a 4-0 edge.
- Sixth-ranked Klaudia Boczova put the Fighting Knights on the board with a 6-1, 6-0 rout over No. 20 Verena Schmid at the top flight.
- The Buc clinched the title with a straight-set win at No. 5 singles.
- Federica Mordegan and Eleonora Liga each won a set for the Blue and White.
BEYOND THE BOXSCORE:
- Lynn is the No. 2 seed in the tournament with Barry holding the No. 1 seed.
- When these two teams met in the regular season, Barry pulled out a tight 5-4 victory.
- Lynn and Barry occupied the SSC Championship match each of the past three years. Lynn won in 2016 and was runner-up to the Bucs in 2017 and 2018.
- Barry now has 11 SSC Tournament titles and has won eight of the last nine.
- Boczova remains undefeated in singles at the top flight (23-0).
Lynn now awaits its fate at the NCAA Selection show next week for its further postseason assignments.