Pensacola, Fla. – Lynn University's fifth-ranked women's tennis team made quick work of Benedict College on Saturday with a 5-0 victory over the Tigers in the opening match of the 2018 NCAA South Region II bracket.
INSIDE THE MATCHUP:
Final: Lynn 5, Benedict 0
Records: #5 Lynn (20-4), Benedict (19-4)
Location: Ralph "Skeeter" Carson Tennis Complex) | Pensacola, Fla.
All-Time Series: Lynn leads 1-0
Get Social: Twitter - @Lynn_Knights | Instagram - @Lynn_Knights | Facebook - /LynnFightingKnights
HOW IT HAPPENED:
- The Tigers only dressed five players, giving Lynn the default victory at No. 3 doubles before the Fighting Knights finished off the sweep.
- The pairs of Klaudia Boczova and Diana Bogolii along with Eliska Petrackova and Anastacia Parkin each logged 8-0 doubles wins at the top two flights, respectively.
- Lynn immediately went up 4-0 at the start of singles competition as the Tigers defaulted No. 6 singles.
- Petrackova was the first Fighting Knight to finish and clinch the match, posting a 6-0, 6-0 triumph at No. 4 singles.
- The other four remaining Fighting Knights were winning their respective singles matches.
BEYOND THE BOXSCORE:
- The Fighting Knights have never lost in the opening round of an NCAA Regional in program history.
- The women's tennis program has qualified for the NCAA tournament every year since joining the NCAA (1997) and have only twice failed to make it out of the regional bracket and advance to nationals (2013, 2014).
- Lynn earned the No. 2 seed in the NCAA South Region with Benedict claiming the No. 7 and final seed in the draw with an automatic bid as SIAC Champions. No. 3 seed and South Region #2 bracket host West Florida defeated No. 6 seed Mississippi College on the other side of the bracket.
- Barry is the No. 1 seed in the South Region and is hosting No. 4 seed Saint Leo and No. 5 seed Florida Southern in the South Region #1 bracket.
- The winners of the South Region #1 and #2 brackets each advance to the National Round of 16.
- Lynn will take on West Florida for the South Region title tomorrow morning. Last season, the Fighting Knights also met the Argos in the South Region final, winning 5-0, and also defeated them in the 2015 regional final.
Lynn and West Florida will battle for the title tomorrow, Sunday, April 29 at 10 a.m.