Lakeland, Fla. – Battling a bit of rain on Friday, Lynn University's women's tennis got off to a solid start at the opening day of the ITA South Region Championships in Lakeland, Fla.
INSIDE THE TOURNAMENT:
Event: 2018 ITA South Region Championships, presented by Oracle
Host: Florida Southern College
Location: Warden Tennis Center | Lakeland, Fla.
Tournament Dates: Sept. 21-24
Get Social: Twitter - @Lynn_Knights | Instagram - @Lynn_Knights | Facebook - /LynnFightingKnights
- All three Fighting Knights competing in the singles bracket won their opening round matches.
- Eleonora Liga made quick work of Montevallo freshman Anne-Christine Leu, winning 6-3, 6-0.
- Federica Mordegan, Lynn's only seeded player, took down Saint Leo's Madeleine Gauthier in straight sets, 6-0, 6-3.
- Eliska Petrackova, the final Fighting Knight in action, picked up a tough three-set victory over Embry-Riddle's Roberta Krvajica (7-6, 4-6, 10-4).
- Liga fell in straight sets to Nova Southeastern's ninth-seeded Natalie Espinal while Petrackova was on the wrong side of a three-set battle against second-seeded Elenore Barrere out of Barry.
- Mordegan remains alive in the singles draw after taking down Stefanie Mehlich of Alabama-Huntsville, 6-1, 6-1.
- Just one round of doubles action was completed on Friday, with Lynn's only pairing picking up a win. Petrackova and Mordegan teamed up to defeat Widdershoven/Barta from Valdosta State, 8-3.
BEYOND THE BOXSCORE:
- Mordgean dropped just five games through four sets of singles action on Friday.
- Mordegan will square off against No. 3 seed Anna Navas out of NSU in the next round of singles play.
The Fighting Knights continue play all weekend in Lakeland, Fla.