BOCA RATON, Fla. – Lynn University's second-ranked women's tennis team breezed past the University of Toledo on Thursday, 6-1, marking the Fighting Knights second dominant victory over an NCAA Division I opponent this week.
INSIDE THE MATCHUP:
Final: Lynn 6, Toledo 1
Records: #2 Lynn (9-0), Toledo (7-5)
Location: Perper Tennis Complex | Boca Raton, Fla.
All-Time Series: Lynn leads 2-0
Get Social: Twitter - @Lynn_Knights | Instagram - @Lynn_Knights | Facebook - /LynnFightingKnights
HOW IT HAPPENED:
- The Fighting Knights secured the doubles point by winning two of the three contests. The Rockets won the second flight, 6-4.
- Ulyana Grib and Anastacia Parkin started the afternoon with a 6-2 win at No. 3 doubles before Leolia Jeanjean and Natalia Siedliska clinched the point with a 6-3 victory at the top flight.
- The Blue and White won five out of the six singles matches, all in straight sets.
- Siedliska (6-1, 6-1) and Grib (6-1, 6-0) were dominant at the top of the singles lineup.
- Federica Mordegan (6-3, 6-3) and Eliska Petrackova (6-1, 6-1) both bounced back from their doubles setback, winning the third and fifth singles flights, respectively, in straight sets.
- Following a 6-2 first-set win at No. 4 singles, Liga needed a tiebreaker (7-2) to close out her straight-set triumph.
- Toledo secured it sole point with a 6-2, 6-1 win at No. 6 singles.
BEYOND THE BOXSCORE:
- These two programs met just once before with Lynn winning 8-1 back in 2004.
- On Monday, Lynn swept Georgetown University (Div. I), 7-0.
- The Rockets lost all four matches this week on their spring break trip to Florida. They started off their season with a 7-1 record.
- Jeanjean was pulled at No. 1 singles.
The Fighting Knights continue their stretch of home matches next week, first hosting Hillsdale at 5 p.m. on Monday, March 11.