Miami Shores, Fla. – An unexpected alteration to the starting lineup did not shake the focus of Lynn University's seventh-ranked women's tennis team on Tuesday as the Fighting Knights took down top-ranked, undefeated and two-time defending national champions Barry University in Sunshine State Conference action, 5-2. Barry had won 69 consecutive matches over the course of the last two and a half seasons coming into today's matchup.
INSIDE THE MATCHUP:
Final: Lynn 5, Barry 2
Records: #7 Lynn (14-0, 5-0 SSC), #1 Barry (11-1, 3-1 SSC)
Location: Buccaneer Tennis Center | Miami Shores, Fla.
All-Time Series: Lynn leads 44-20
Get Social: Twitter - @Lynn_Knights | Instagram - @Lynn_Knights | Facebook - /LynnFightingKnights
HOW IT HAPPENED:
- The Fighting Knights looked sharp right out of the gate in doubles play, taking two flights before almost completing the sweep.
- Lynn secured both the first and third doubles flights, 6-4, as Leolia Jeanjean and Ulyana Grib won at the top spot with Eleonora Liga and Giorgia Pigato taking the No. 3 match.
- The Bucs won at No. 2 doubles, 6-4, but the Blue and White already claimed the lone doubles point.
- The sides traded straight-set wins at the top-four singles positions as Lynn garnered a 3-2 advantage.
- 60th-ranked Jeanjean took down 29th-ranked Carolin Schmidt at the top flight, 6-1, 6-4, with Grib claiming a 7-6 (6), 6-1 victory at the No. 2 position.
- Liga clinched the match for the Blue and White, winning at No. 5 singles in an exciting second-set tiebreaker, 6-2, 7-6 (6).
- Pigato closed out the action with her second victory of the day, triumphing in the No. 6 matchup, 7-6 (6), 6-2.
BEYOND THE BOXSCORE:
- Barry suffers its first loss since May 8, 2016, when Lynn knocked the Bucs out in the NCAA South Region Final.
- Lynn picks up its first win on the road over Barry since April 4, 2011.
- Natalia Siedliska, Lynn's highest-ranked singles player, did not play in today's match.
- Barry went undefeated and won NCAA National Championships in 2017 (30-0) and 2018 (28-0).
- Four of the six singles bouts had a set go to a tiebreaker. All four tiebreakers ended 8-6.
- Pigato played doubles for the first time this season. Jeanjean and Grib also paired up together for the first time this year.
Lynn returns home for a 10 a.m. SSC matchup against Florida Southern this Saturday, March 30.