Bradenton, Fla. – For the first time this season, Lynn University's second-ranked women's tennis team faced a deficit following doubles action, but four consecutive straight-set wins in singles competition gave the Fighting Knights a 4-1 victory over No. 3 Saint Leo on Saturday in the Sunshine State Conference Tournament Semifinals.
INSIDE THE MATCHUP:
Final: Lynn 4, Saint Leo 1
Records: #2 Lynn (21-0), #3 Saint Leo (19-5)
Location: IMG Academy | Bradenton, Fla.
All-Time Series: Lynn leads 26-6
Get Social: Twitter - @Lynn_Knights | Instagram - @Lynn_Knights | Facebook - /LynnFightingKnights
HOW IT HAPPENED:
- The doubles contests were tight on all three courts, with Saint Leo winning two flights in tiebreakers.
- Ulyana Grib and Leolia Jeanjean grabbed a 6-4 victory at the top doubles flight over the 10th-ranked tandem in the country.
- The Lions won at No. 2 doubles, 7-6 (7-0), and at No. 3, 7-6 (9-7).
- Lynn's top-two singles players quickly went to work, firing off two impressive wins over nationally-ranked opponents to push Lynn out in front. Jeanjean won at the top flight, 6-2, 6-3, with Grib taking the No. 2 matchup, 6-2, 6-2.
- Giorgia Pigato came out hot before persevering in a tight second set at No. 6 singles (6-0, 7-5).
- Eliska Petrackova clinched the win for the Fighting Knights at No. 5, 6-3, 6-2.
- The Lions won the opening set at the third and fourth flights.
BEYOND THE BOXSCORE:
- Lynn didn't claim the doubles point for the first time this season.
- During the regular season, Lynn defeated Saint Leo 6-1 on the road early in the year.
- Lynn is making its fourth consecutive appearance in the SSC Championship match. The program last won the title in 2016.
- Lynn is the No. 2 seed in the SSC Tournament and Saint Leo is the No. 3 seed.
Lynn returns to the courts tomorrow afternoon at 1 p.m. to battle Nova Southeastern for the SSC Championship.