Bradenton, Fla. – Following an undefeated regular season and the first Sunshine State Conference Regular Season Championship in program history, the second-ranked Lynn University women's tennis team rounded out the 2019 title sweep on Sunday, shutting out sixth-ranked Nova Southeastern 4-0 to garner the SSC Tournament Championship for the 11th time in program history.
INSIDE THE MATCHUP:
Final: Lynn 4, NSU 0
Records: #2 Lynn (22-0), #6 NSU (21-4)
Location: IMG Academy | Bradenton, Fla.
All-Time Series: Lynn leads 32-2
Get Social: Twitter - @Lynn_Knights | Instagram - @Lynn_Knights | Facebook - /LynnFightingKnights
HOW IT HAPPENED:
- Lynn started off the afternoon with a statement win at the top doubles flight, but the Sharks responded at the middle spot. The Fighting Knights persevered in a tight No. 3 matchup to earn a critical doubles point.
- Leolia Jeanjean and Ulyana Grib took down the 18th-ranked doubles pair in the country at No. 1, 6-2. Eleonora Liga and Giorgia Pigato held strong under pressure at No. 3, clinching the pairs point for Lynn with a 6-4 victory.
- The Sharks were victorious at the No. 2 doubles position, 6-2.
- Lynn did not mess around in singles competition, earning three consecutive straight-set victories to clinch the match and sweep the Sharks.
- At the top flight, Jeanjean was up 6-1, 3-0, before her opponent retired.
- Liga was the next to finish, grabbing her second win of the day with a 6-2, 6-0 decision at No. 4.
- Grib brought home the title for the Blue and White, winning the No. 2 matchup in an upset over No. 28 Natalia Espinal (6-1, 6-3).
- Pigato won the opening frame at No. 6 singles, but was close to a split as her opponent led 5-3 in the second set.
- The Sharks won the first set at both No. 3 and No. 5 singles.
BEYOND THE BOXSCORE:
- The Lynn women's tennis program won the 2019 SSC Regular Season and Tournament Championships, the 39th and 42nd league titles in Lynn University history. Women's golf and men's lacrosse claimed two titles in between, giving the Fighting Knights four SSC titles in a 13-day span.
- This is the first time Lynn University has ever won four SSC Championships in the same month.
- This is just the second time Lynn has won four SSC titles in an academic year. During the 2003-04 school year, Lynn won a regular season title in men's soccer and tournament titles in men's soccer, men's golf and women's tennis.
- The women's tennis team becomes the first Fighting Knights women's program to win both the SSC Regular Season and Tournament Championships in the same year. Men's basketball and men's soccer have each accomplished this feat.
- The women's tennis program's 11 SSC Tournament titles are more than any other sport at Lynn.
- Since Lynn joined the NCAA in the summer of 1997, Lynn and Barry are the only two schools to win the women's tennis SSC Tournament, spanning a streak of 22 seasons.
- Lynn and Barry are now tied for the all-time lead in women's tennis SSC Tournament Championships with 11, followed by Florida Southern with 10.
- Lynn's sweep over NSU today marks the first shutout in the women's tennis SSC Tournament Final since 2015.
- NSU made their second-ever appearance in the SSC Championship Final. The last time the Sharks made it to the title match, they lost to Lynn 5-1 in 2007.
Lynn now awaits its fate at the NCAA Selection Show next week for its further postseason assignments.