Fort Lauderdale, Fla. – After multiple rain delays and schedule adjustments, Lynn University's top-ranked women's tennis team finally took to the courts Monday evening, blanking No. 13 West Florida in the opening round of the NCAA South Regional, 4-0. The bottom half of the singles lineup carried the weight, clinching the match for the Fighting Knights.
INSIDE THE MATCHUP:
Final: Lynn 4, UWF 0
Records: #1 Lynn (23-0), #13 UWF (20-9)
Location: NSU Tennis Complex | Fort Lauderdale, Fla.
All-Time Series: Lynn leads 23-3
Get Social: Twitter - @Lynn_Knights | Instagram - @Lynn_Knights | Facebook - /LynnFightingKnights
HOW IT HAPPENED:
- Lynn quickly secured two doubles matches to build an early 1-0 advantage.
- Giorgia Pigato and Eleonora Liga got things started with a 6-0 triumph at No. 3 doubles.
- In a battle of top-12 doubles teams, No. 5 Ulyana Grib and Leolia Jeanjean clinched the point with a 6-2 victory at the top flight.
- The Argos were leading 5-3 at No. 2 doubles.
- The Blue and White came out firing in singles competition, winning the opening set on all six courts. The bottom half of the lineup would all finish first, clinching the match for the Fighting Knights.
- Eliska Petrackova bounced back from her deficit in doubles play, logging a strong 6-0, 6-4 win at No. 5 singles.
- Liga then posted her second win of the day, taking the No. 4 singles match 6-3, 6-3.
- Pigato closed out and clinched the win for the Fighting Knights at No. 6 singles in a 6-0, 6-4 triumph.
- At No. 3, Federica Mordegan was nearing in on victory, leading 6-2, 5-1.
- Jeanjean and Grib each won their respective first sets at the top-two singles flights.
BEYOND THE BOXSCORE:
- The match was originally scheduled to start at 2 p.m. but was moved up to 12:45 p.m. due to forecasted rain. Doubles commenced for about two minutes before lightning entered the area. Action resumed around 4:30 p.m. until the completion of the match.
- Lynn was tabbed the No. 3 seed in the South Region, with West Florida selected as No. 6. Nova Southeastern claimed the No. 2 seed and is hosting the South Region #2 bracket. The Sharks defeated No. 7 seed Clark Atlanta earlier today.
- Last year, UWF ended Lynn's season in the NCAA South Regional Final.
- During the regular season, Lynn and West Florida met on neutral grounds in Saint Leo. Lynn took the doubles point and Liga won at No. 5 singles, but rain halted the match and it was never completed.
Lynn takes on host Nova Southeastern tomorrow morning, Tuesday, May 14, at 11 a.m. for the South Region #2 Championship and a berth to the national tournament.