Fort Lauderdale, Fla. – Lynn University's top-ranked women's tennis team is heading back to the NCAA National Championships as the squad took down No. 3 Nova Southeastern on Tuesday, 4-0, to win the NCAA South Region II Championship. The Fighting Knights have now collected three titles so far this season, with the ultimate prize just four wins away.
INSIDE THE MATCHUP:
Final: Lynn 4, NSU 0
Records: #1 Lynn (24-0), #3 NSU (22-5)
Location: NSU Tennis Complex | Fort Lauderdale, Fla.
All-Time Series: Lynn leads 33-2}
Get Social: Twitter - @Lynn_Knights | Instagram - @Lynn_Knights | Facebook - /LynnFightingKnights
HOW IT HAPPENED:
- Lynn needed a valiant comeback effort at No. 2 doubles to secure the doubles point.
- Leolia Jeanjean and Ulyana Grib got the ball rolling with a 6-1 victory at the top pairs flight.
- Eliska Petrackova and Federica Mordegan trailed for nearly the entire match at No. 2, but pulled through strong at the end to clinch the point with a 6-4 triumph.
- The No. 3 doubles match was all knotted up at 5-5.
- Jeanjean carried her momentum into singles play, rolling 41st-ranked Ana Navas at the top flight, 6-0, 6-0.
- Grib finished next, picking up her second win of the day with a 6-1, 6-3 victory at No. 2 singles.
- Eleonora Liga clinched the match for the Blue and White, winning the No. 4 singles bout in straight sets (6-3, 6-1).
- Mordegan split sets at No. 3 singles, Petrackova was ahead 6-4, 4-3 at No. 5 and Giorgia Pigato won her opening frame at No. 6, 7-5.
BEYOND THE BOXSCORE:
- Lynn was tabbed the No. 3 seed in the South Region with Nova Southeastern claiming the No. 2 seed and hosting rights for the South Region #2 bracket. In the South Region #1 bracket, No. 1 seed Barry defeated No. 4 seed Saint Leo.
- The top four ranked teams in the country all hail from the Sunshine State Conference. Due to NCAA Division II regionalization, two of the top four teams (No. 3 NSU and No. 4 Saint Leo) will not advance to the NCAA National Championships.
- The Fighting Knights have now collected three titles so far this year (SSC Regular Season Champions, SSC Tournament Champions, NCAA South Region II Champions).
- Since joining the NCAA in 1997, the Lynn women's tennis program has qualified for the NCAA Tournament every year (23 seasons). With today's win in the regional final, the Fighting Knights advance to nationals for the 20th time. Lynn has not advanced to nationals just three times (2013, 2014, 2018).
- Jeanjean (20-0) and Liga (21-0) remain undefeated in singles this season.
- Three of NSU's five losses this season have come at the hands of Lynn (regular season, SSC Tournament Championship, NCAA South Region Championship).
Lynn will now advance to the 2019 NCAA National Championships at Sanlando Park in Altamonte Springs, Fla. The tournament commences next Wednesday, May 22. The Sweet 16 bracket has not been released yet.