BOCA RATON, Fla. – Lynn University's volleyball team looked sharp in all facets of the game Friday night as the Fighting Knights found their way back into the win column by closing out Embry-Riddle University late in the fourth set to win 3-1 in nonconference action. Junior Claire Angelich tied the school record for total blocks in a four-set match with 11.
INSIDE THE MATCHUP:
Final: Lynn 3, Embry-Riddle 1 (26-24, 23-25, 25-16, 25-22)
Records: Lynn (6-6), Embry-Riddle (9-3)
Location: de Hoernle Sports and Cultural Center | Boca Raton, Fla.
All-Time Series: ERAU leads 10-7 (Last meeting 2006)
Get Social: Twitter - @Lynn_Knights | Instagram - @Lynn_Knights | Facebook - /LynnFightingKnights
HOW IT HAPPENED:
- The team's traded blows in each of the first two sets with both squads claiming one by a shallow two-point margin.
- Lynn was dominant in the third set, hitting .429 with 16 kills.
- Despite their worst hitting set of the night, the Blue & White pulled off incredible scoring runs behind sound serving and textbook blocking to come from behind in the fourth set and close out the match.
- The Eagles led 18-14 before Katie Knight served the Fighting Knights to a 7-0 run to retake the lead.
- Angelich single handedly closed out the match with seven of Lynn's final 11 points (5 blocks, 2 kills).
- Angelich's monster fourth set rounded her out with a program-record-tying 11 total blocks (8 assisted, 3 solo) and nine kills.
- Cleuza Porto was a force to be reckoned with for the opposing defense. The junior hit .333 with a career-high 20 kills.
- Marissa Tandron topped her season-high assist total for the second time this week, dishing out 49 helpers to guide the offense. She also matched her season-high with five kills.
- Lydia West attacked efficiently all night (.444), finishing with 11 kills and four blocks (3 solo).
BEYOND THE BOXSCORE:
- Angelich is now tied with Haley Pratt for the program's individual match record for blocks in a four-set contest. Brianna Cox's 12 total blocks on Sept. 1, 2012 (five sets) stands as the overall high mark.
- Porto's 20 kills in a match is the most from one player for Lynn this season.
- The Fighting Knights snapped a five-match losing skid.
The Fighting Knights are back on their home court Saturday, Oct. 3 at 4 p.m. against SSC opponent Rollins College.