St. Petersburg, Fla. – Lynn University's volleyball team continues to click on the court as the squad won its third consecutive match with a solid 3-0 victory over Eckerd College in Sunshine State conference action Friday night.
INSIDE THE MATCHUP:
Final: Lynn 3, Eckerd 0 (25-13, 25-22, 25-17)
Records: Lynn (8-6, 2-4 SSC), Eckerd (7-7, 2-4 SSC)
Location: McArthur Center | St. Petersburg, Fla.
Series: Lynn trails 17-20 (Last meeting 2014)
HOW IT HAPPENED:
- At 8-8 in the first set, Lynn went on a 4-0 run to force Eckerd into a timeout. Lynn utilized four service aces to extend the lead and win 25-13. Claire Angelich finished the opener with five kills on five attacks, and led the defense with three digs.
- Lynn took the lead at 3-2 in the second set and never gave it back. The Tritons fought back to finally knot it up at 22-22 but Lynn was able to fire off three straight to close it out. Cristina Llorens hit .625 and tallied five kills.
- Katie Knight gave Lynn a quick 2-0 advantage in the third set off two service aces, but Eckerd rebounded and built a 9-7 lead. The Blue & White would regain control at 11-10 as Lydia West put down three kills to secure Lynn the sweep.
STAT OF THE GAME:
- Angelich posted a season-best .579 hitting percentage and led the squad with a season-high-tying 12 kills.
- West swung above .500 for the second consecutive match as her and Llorens added eight kills apiece.
- Marissa Tandron guided the offense with 34 assists and three service aces.
- Knight also registered three aces while leading the defense with eight digs.
BEYOND THE BOXSCORE:
- The Fighting Knights' 11 service aces are the most by the team since Oct. 18, 2014.
- Tandron's 34 assists ties her season-best in a three-set match.
- Lynn also swept Eckerd 3-0 in both of the matchups last season.
- Lynn's .299 hitting percentage is its highest in the last nine matches.
The Fighting Knights cap off the weekend road trip at Saint Leo on Saturday, Oct. 10 in SSC action. First serve is slated for 2 p.m.