Carrollton, Ga. – After controlling the opening set on Saturday, Lynn University's volleyball team had to battle from behind late in the second and third frames to secure a 3-0 victory over Shorter University, concluding this weekend's competition at the South Region Crossover tournament.
INSIDE THE MATCHUP:
Final: Lynn 3, Shorter 0 (25-20, 25-22, 25-22)
Records: Lynn (11-7), Shorter (10-6)
Location: The Coliseum | Carrollton, Ga.
Series: Lynn leads 2-0 (Last meeting 2013)
Get Social: Twitter - @Lynn_Knights | Instagram - @Lynn_Knights | Facebook - /LynnFightingKnights
HOW IT HAPPENED:
- Set 1 | Lynn took control at 7-6 and never gave back the lead, eventually opening up a 21-14 advantage. Nicol Colonna came out of the gates on fire, recording six of her seven kills and two of her four blocks in the match.
- Set 2 | Shorter notched the first three points then held a slight lead over Lynn for the majority of the set, but never by more than three points. Down 19-16, Lynn fired off a 6-0 run to secure its first advantage of the frame (22-19). Claire Angelich and Morgan Dulaney put away kills down the stretch to hold off the Hawks and give Lynn a 2-0 match lead.
- Set 3 | The onset of the third set was a back-and-forth affair until Shorter took over and unlocked a seven-point advantage (14-7). Lynn slowly battled back to cut the deficit to two points (22-20) before rallying off five straight to close out the match in straight sets.
STAT OF THE MATCH:
- Angelich led the Blue & White on both sides of the ball, recording match-highs in kills (10), blocks (5) and service aces (3), while hitting at a .381 clip.
- Colonna and Dulaney notched seven kills apiece, while Cristina Llorens and Lydia West each adding six.
- Llorens led the Fighting Knights on the receiving end with 14 digs, while Katie Knight (12) and Marissa Tandron (10) both reached double figures.
- Tandron recorded a match-high 35 assists.
BEYOND THE BOXSCORE:
- Lynn won all three of its matches this weekend, marking six wins in the last seven matches.
- Tandron tied her season-high for assists in a three-set match, which she just set in the team's last contest.
- Knight recorded 12 digs in all three matches this weekend.
- Angelich's three aces is a career-high for the junior.
Lynn returns home after the long weekend, but will not have a long rest as the squad hosts SSC opponent Nova Southeastern on Tuesday, Oct. 20 inside the de Hoernle Sports and Cultural Center at 7 p.m.