BOCA RATON, Fla. – After 18 years and 38 tries, Lynn University's volleyball team made program history on Saturday, defeating top-ranked and defending national champions University of Tampa for the first time ever to hand the Spartans their first Sunshine State Conference loss since Oct. 2011.
INSIDE THE MATCHUP:
Final: Lynn 3, Tampa 2 (28-26, 25-20, 19-25, 20-25, 15-8)
Records: Lynn (12-8, 3-6 SSC), Tampa (17-4, 7-1 SSC)
Location: de Hoernle Sports and Cultural Center | Boca Raton, Fla.
Series: Tampa leads 37-1 (Last meeting 2014)
Get Social: Twitter - @Lynn_Knights | Instagram - @Lynn_Knights | Facebook - /LynnFightingKnights
- Set 1 | Lynn faced set-point down 24-23, but a clutch block by Cleuza Porto and Claire Angelich kept their team alive. Nicol Colonna and Angelich strung together three kills to set up Porto for the set-winning service ace. Angelich and Colonna each tallied five kills in the opener, with Angelich hitting perfect (5-for-5) on the attack.
- Set 2 | Each team had its best hitting frame of the match (Lynn, .462; Tampa, .524). Cristina Llorens caught fire late in the set to lead Lynn on a 7-1 run to close out 25-20 and go up 2-0.
- Set 3 | The Fighting Knights remained aggressive in hopes of securing the sweep, but a 7-1 run for Tampa following a 15-15 tie led the Spartans to their first appearance on the scoreboard.
- Set 4 | Lynn fought from behind the majority of the fourth set until finally garnering the lead at 17-16. It didn't last long however, as Tampa fired off an 8-1 run to force a deciding fifth set.
- Set 5 | Contrary to Tuesday night's fifth set vs. Nova, Lynn controlled the onset off the final frame to build an 8-2 lead and force Tampa into a timeout. Angelich then lead her squad to victory from the service line, picking apart the defense with three service aces to close out the monumental triumph.
STAT OF THE GAME:
- Angelich finished the night with a .500 hitting percentage, recording 11 kills, three blocks (two solo) and a career-high four aces.
- Llorens led the Blue & White offense with 14 kills, matching her career-high, and added four aces.
- Katie Knight was the glue of the backline, leading all players on the floor with 19 digs.
- Shanotta Bawek continues to be a serious threat from the service line as of late, posting a match- and career-high five aces.
- Porto rounded out Lynn's double-digit attackers with 10 kills, while Lydia West and Colonna each finished with nine. West led all players with five blocks on the night.
- Marissa Tandron registered a balanced night from the setter position, finishing with 48 assists, five digs, two kills and three aces.
- Tampa boasted an incredible 59-match winning streak in SSC play heading into tonight's match.
- The Fighting Knights served up 19 aces on the night, tying the fifth most in single-match program history and the most since 2006.
- This was the second consecutive five-set match for Lynn, and the first five-set win this season in three tries.
- Tampa had won all 37 meetings between the two teams prior to tonight.
The Fighting Knights look to carry the momentum into next week when they travel to Palm Beach Atlantic on Tuesday, Oct. 27 for a 7 p.m. contest with the Sailfish.