West Palm Beach, Fla. – A combined 167 digs were recorded in a defensive showdown on Tuesday night, but it was 14th-ranked Palm Beach Atlantic who came out on top in a 3-1 victory over Lynn University's volleyball team inside PBA's Rubin Arena.
INSIDE THE MATCHUP:
Final: #14 Palm Beach Atlantic 3, Lynn 1 (23-25, 25-21, 25-16, 25-14)
Records: Lynn (12-9), PBA (19-3)
Location: Rubin Arena | West Palm Beach, Fla.
Series: Lynn leads 7-6 (last meeting 2015)
Get Social: Twitter - @Lynn_Knights | Instagram - @Lynn_Knights | Facebook - /LynnFightingKnights
- Set 1 | Lynn was able to garner the lead at 12-10 and utilized a balanced attack to hold off the Sailfish in a 25-23 opening-set triumph. Cleuza Porto came out hot with four kills (.444), while Nicol Colonna and Cristina Llorens each chipped in three. Marissa Tandron recorded six of her 10 total digs in the match.
- Set 2 | Both sides traded leads for the majority of the second set until a pair of Lynn service errors late shifted the momentum to the home side. The 'Fish put away the frame with two straight kills to even the match at 1-1. Porto remained active, adding seven kills (.286) with the help of 14 assists from Tandron.
- Set 3 | A 9-2 run for the Sailfish opened up a 21-13 advantage. Lynn's match-low .071 hitting percentage limited any potential comeback attempt.
- Set 4 | Lynn remained aggressive in an effort to send the match to a fifth set, but the PBA defense was all over the court, taking the finale 25-14.
- Lynn featured four defenders with double-digit digs, led by Katie Knight's season-high 23.
- Porto and Llorens each notched double-doubles as Porto went for a match-high 14 kills with 10 digs, and Llorens added 11 kills to go along with a season-high-tying 17 digs.
- Tandron was the final defender in double figures and distributed 41 assists.
- Lydia West led the net play with four blocks and nine kills.
- Lynn's 83 digs is a season-high for the team, and the most in a match since Oct. 18, 2013.
- In both matchups this season, the Blue & White took the first set over PBA before falling in four.
The Fighting Knights return home this weekend for a matchup with Florida Tech on Friday, Oct. 30 at 7 p.m. followed by Florida Southern on Saturday, Oct. 31 at 4 p.m.