BOCA RATON, Fla. – Going up against another nationally-ranked opponent, the Lynn University volleyball team came up short on Saturday in a 3-0 defeat at the hands of No. 17 Florida Southern College.
INSIDE THE MATCHUP:
Final: #17 Florida Southern 3, Lynn 0 (25-22, 26-24, 26-24)
Records: Lynn (13-10, 4-7 SSC), Florida Southern (19-6, 6-5 SSC)
Location: de Hoernle Sports and Cultural Center | Boca Raton, Fla.
Series: Lynn trails 8-30 (last meeting 2015)
Get Social: Twitter - @Lynn_Knights | Instagram - @Lynn_Knights | Facebook - /LynnFightingKnights
- Set 1 | Middles Claire Angelich and Lydia West combined for nine kills in the opener as Lynn had its best hitting frame of the match, but a 6-0 run from the Mocs early on had the Fighting Knights playing catch up. Lynn made a push late but Florida Southern held off for a 25-22 win.
- Set 2 | The second set was a complete back-and-forth affair that featured 17 tie scores throughout. Lynn held set-point at 24-23, but a couple of errors down the stretch doomed the home squad to put them in a 2-0 hole.
- Set 3 |The Blue & White looked poised to make a comeback following a quick 6-1 advantage in the third. Lynn's defense held strong with four blocks but inefficient attacking allowed Florida Southern to retake the lead and close out the sweep.
STAT OF THE GAME:
- West was the only Lynn attacker to reach double figures, tallying 10 kills and three blocks.
- Morgan Dulaney posted the team's highest hitting percentage (.320) to help fuel her nine kills.
- Angelich recorded a balanced stat line featuring seven kills, six digs and a team-high four blocks (three solo).
- Katie Knight led the back line with 16 digs, followed by Cristina Llorens with 11 and Marissa Tandron with 10. Tandron also finished with 33 assists.
- Over the past seven days, the Fighting Knights faced off against three nationally-ranked opponents, going 1-2 by picking up a win over No. 1 Tampa.
- Llorens has registered double-digit digs in six of the last seven matches.
- Angelich matched her season-high with three solo blocks.
The Fighting Knights embark on a three-match road trip next week, starting with a SSC matchup at Barry University on Tuesday, Nov. 3 at 7 p.m.